Marley, Prince of Ferals.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
We lost our sweet, shy, cross-eyed guy Marley to kidney failure yesterday. We knew it was coming, but it's still such a hard thing to have to accept.

Marley was one of a litter of three feral kittens born near my home in 2012. I was trying to get all the neighbourhood cats TNR'd and had been feeding his mother for a few months before the kittens were born. As soon as they were able to Marley and his brother and sister started following mum to the food. I thought they were young enough to try and socialize, so decided to coax them indoors and set up a spare bedroom as a kitten room for them. The other two kittens soon warmed up to people, but Marley kept his wild side. He spent his first month indoors hiding in the closet, only eating or using the litter box if no one was around. It was obvious he was never going to be tame enough to rehome. But that was OK. If he wanted to live with us on his own terms we didn't mind.

SpikeKuro2.jpg

He was an intelligent, handsome boy who watched our every move, but sometimes gave us a look that let us know he trusted us.
SpikeMarley4.jpg

After about a year of very slow coaxing Marley started to accept pets. It was always on his terms. You couldn't just walk up to him and touch him the way we could with our other house cats. But if you turned your attention to something else and stayed still Marley would slink up to you and brush gently against your legs. If you waited until he was eating he might allow your hand to graze his back. One day, when I held out my hand and he bumped his head against it before walking off, I knew I was making progress. When we bought a new home with a big plot of land a few years back, we trapped Marley again and brought him with us. Now he would have a safe enclosure to live in, as well as run of the house.
Marley8.jpg

About this time last year I started to notice that Marley was losing weight. His coat was rough and disheveled and his eyes had lost some of their lustre. He still couldn't be handled enough to be picked up, so the only way to get him to the vet was to trap him again. This took about a month. When we got him to the vet he had to be sedated before they could examine him. Blood tests showed that his kidneys were failing. If he had been the kind of cat that could be brought in for regular treatment they could have tried regular tests and SubQ fluids, but Marley was not that kind of cat. The best we could do was daily medication to mix with his food and a special diet.
Marley29.jpg

For most of the year it seemed to be working. Marley didn't gain much weight back, but he ate well and seemed to be more comfortable. I think he enjoyed his life as much as he always had done.

About a week ago he stopped eating. I tried all of his favourite treats, but nothing interested him. I think he knew he was dying. A few days ago he came and sat between me and my husband as we were talking and let us both pet him. I could feel every knot of his spine, his hip bones and even the back of his skull seemed to poke through his fur. But he rested his front paw and chin on my leg for a while. That was as close as he ever came to sitting on my lap. Thank you Marley, I am so grateful for that.

Eventually I decided to risk syringe feeding him. By that time he was too weak to put up much of a fight and allowed me to feed him a high calorie paste laced with his medication. Sadly it didn't do much good. When I checked on him on Friday night he was sleeping in his box. When I woke up on Saturday morning he was gone.

We buried him in the enclosure next to our dear old Mu, who passed this summer. They always got along well together. They're together forever now.
MuMarley1_R.jpg

Marley, my wild and handsome boy. I don't want to remember how thin you felt as I held you, or how you tottered and stumbled as you walked. Instead I want to remember that long legged lope of yours, the way your tail bent over at the tip. Most of all I want to remember how you'd look at me with a gaze full of such love and trust that I wanted to scoop you up, to hold you close and snuggle my face against yours.

You would never have allowed such a thing. But please know, my love, that in my heart that's what I was doing.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to such a special boy! I am so happy he got to live as he wanted, wild, but having someone to love who loved him back. To keep him safe and to provide him with safety and food in his dangerous world. He loves you so very much for this, and knows you did all you could to provide him with a ending to his life on his own terms, just as he wanted it.
He will always be a part of your world, of your soul. The memories you have will eventually bring you comfort instead of pain, he would love nothing more than to have you go forward into life and share the love he gave you with those remaining in your care, to add on to his and make it even more special. Love is meant to bring joy, to bring happiness. It is sorrowful when they leave us, but they leave knowing they will always be as close as our thoughts and prayers. He takes a little part of your heart with him, but leaves a little part of his own for you to hold.
I have lost so many, as you have, and it never gets any easier. I have to instead think of how many little loves I have gained, what I have gathered up in my soul. You have earned one of this life's greatest treasures, something that makes all the work and worry worthwhile, a cat's love........RIP dear Marley. you will always be remembered, you will always have a secure place in loving hearts. May the good Lord bless you, until you meet again!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss Laura. It's been a tough year for you. :hugs: :rbheart:

Those last snuggles with you were his way of saying, "Thank you for everything, Mom. I will always love you."

I'm sure he got quite the welcome at the Bridge. I have no doubt that he and The Mu enjoyed many reunion cuddles.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Marley, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

How wonderful that he found a place where he could live his life safely, but on his own terms! And how wonderful that he found a place where his people would let him leave on his Next Great Adventure on his own terms! What Marley knew of hearth, home, and love, he knew because of you. And at the end, when there was no more need to assert his independence, or time, he snuggled down with you and your husband, and told you, as clearly as any words could have said, "I love you. I trust you. Because of you, I leave here having been Someone's Cat." Now, from his home in That Place Where All Things Are Known, he whispers to Those Who Watch, "Those are MY humans. Look after them until they come Home. They're special!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you all so much. I really appreciate you taking the time to read Marley's story and to comfort me with your words.

I have lost so many, as you have, and it never gets any easier. I have to instead think of how many little loves I have gained, what I have gathered up in my soul
I know you have. :hugs: I guess with the wild ones we need to be grateful that they are living long enough to die from these age related diseases. I know many of mine, and I'm sure many of yours, wouldn't have made it as far as they did without our help.

And at the end, when there was no more need to assert his independence, or time, he snuggled down with you and your husband, and told you, as clearly as any words could have said, "I love you. I trust you. Because of you, I leave here having been Someone's Cat."
Oh Bek, that's so sweet. You've got me in tears again.

:hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This tribute of yours to Marley did bring some tears to my eyes.
It was so heart touching, I really felt your love for him and understood the kind of relationship you had with him. He knew you loved him, and I think he loved you back, and would have liked to show you that love, but his nature just didn't allow him, and at the end of his life he overcame his nature and rested a paw and his chin on your leg, the last and most valuable gift he could ever give you.
RIP Marley, you will be greatly missed.

DeeCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We lost our sweet, shy, cross-eyed guy Marley to kidney failure yesterday. We knew it was coming, but it's still such a hard thing to have to accept.

Marley was one of a litter of three feral kittens born near my home in 2012. I was trying to get all the neighbourhood cats TNR'd and had been feeding his mother for a few months before the kittens were born. As soon as they were able to Marley and his brother and sister started following mum to the food. I thought they were young enough to try and socialize, so decided to coax them indoors and set up a spare bedroom as a kitten room for them. The other two kittens soon warmed up to people, but Marley kept his wild side. He spent his first month indoors hiding in the closet, only eating or using the litter box if no one was around. It was obvious he was never going to be tame enough to rehome. But that was OK. If he wanted to live with us on his own terms we didn't mind.

View attachment 434020
He was an intelligent, handsome boy who watched our every move, but sometimes gave us a look that let us know he trusted us.
View attachment 434021
After about a year of very slow coaxing Marley started to accept pets. It was always on his terms. You couldn't just walk up to him and touch him the way we could with our other house cats. But if you turned your attention to something else and stayed still Marley would slink up to you and brush gently against your legs. If you waited until he was eating he might allow your hand to graze his back. One day, when I held out my hand and he bumped his head against it before walking off, I knew I was making progress. When we bought a new home with a big plot of land a few years back, we trapped Marley again and brought him with us. Now he would have a safe enclosure to live in, as well as run of the house.
View attachment 434022
About this time last year I started to notice that Marley was losing weight. His coat was rough and disheveled and his eyes had lost some of their lustre. He still couldn't be handled enough to be picked up, so the only way to get him to the vet was to trap him again. This took about a month. When we got him to the vet he had to be sedated before they could examine him. Blood tests showed that his kidneys were failing. If he had been the kind of cat that could be brought in for regular treatment they could have tried regular tests and SubQ fluids, but Marley was not that kind of cat. The best we could do was daily medication to mix with his food and a special diet.
View attachment 434023
For most of the year it seemed to be working. Marley didn't gain much weight back, but he ate well and seemed to be more comfortable. I think he enjoyed his life as much as he always had done.

About a week ago he stopped eating. I tried all of his favourite treats, but nothing interested him. I think he knew he was dying. A few days ago he came and sat between me and my husband as we were talking and let us both pet him. I could feel every knot of his spine, his hip bones and even the back of his skull seemed to poke through his fur. But he rested his front paw and chin on my leg for a while. That was as close as he ever came to sitting on my lap. Thank you Marley, I am so grateful for that.

Eventually I decided to risk syringe feeding him. By that time he was too weak to put up much of a fight and allowed me to feed him a high calorie paste laced with his medication. Sadly it didn't do much good. When I checked on him on Friday night he was sleeping in his box. When I woke up on Saturday morning he was gone.

We buried him in the enclosure next to our dear old Mu, who passed this summer. They always got along well together. They're together forever now.
View attachment 434025

Marley, my wild and handsome boy. I don't want to remember how thin you felt as I held you, or how you tottered and stumbled as you walked. Instead I want to remember that long legged lope of yours, the way your tail bent over at the tip. Most of all I want to remember how you'd look at me with a gaze full of such love and trust that I wanted to scoop you up, to hold you close and snuggle my face against yours.

You would never have allowed such a thing. But please know, my love, that in my heart that's what I was doing.
This made me cry. What a beautiful tribute.

I’m so glad he got to know and love you. It sounds like he had a peaceful passing.

He will visit you in your dreams.

Hugs to you.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for all the lovely pics of Marley, it helped me to visualize what a strong and confident boy he was. He is joined by his BFF, Mu, and the two of them are running pain free at the Bridge now. Your husband and you are saints.:hearthrob: RIP dear angel. :angel: