March 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have it from the library now. I'm not going to start reading too soon this time...
I don't want to start it too early, either. So I'm waiting, and hoping, the 2 available e-books aren't suddenly borrowed when I'm ready to start reading. Maybe I should just borrow one now, and plain to finish reading before the 3 week loan period is up.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I have done, borrowed it on Monday so I have 3 weeks to read and will leave until last couple of days.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just borrowed it, so my loan is good till the 25th. Will probably start reading it around the 14th or so.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just borrowed it, so my loan is good till the 25th. Will probably start reading it around the 14th or so.
That’s my plan. It didn’t have any other holds and I can renew it before it’s due to extend the due date so I’m going to do that.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a warning!
I am having problems with this book - I can only take so much real-life horror at a time. I am a quarter of the way through and not enjoying the experience. Peddling on my exercise bike, I read a book to make the 30 minutes pass more quickly. But, I cannot read "From Baghdad with Love" for more than 15 minutes before having to put it to one side.

For those of you who want to start reading at the last minute, you will need an iron stomach to read this book quickly!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the warning, gilmargl gilmargl . Maybe I'll start it sooner than planned so I can read a little at a time, rather than a lot at once.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never read reviews before I read a book, but just checked out some of the ones on Goodreads, and they match what gilmargl gilmargl and Boris Diamond Boris Diamond have posted. I have a feeling I'm going to be skimming past a lot of the atrocities, as I don't want to be left with horrific images in my head.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to be left with horrific images in my head.
Damn straight, rubes, I'll be skimming as well. My father went into a concentration camp one day
after it was liberated by the Russians and he said the images were still in his mind. Of course
reading about atrocities is not as bad as experiencing them, but I can usually tell when something
I don't want to know about it coming up.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend you read the first chapter to get a feel for the situation and, if it's a bit too much, skip to chapters 7 or 8. You won't miss too much. It then becomes more interesting and I haven't (yet) had to put the book down simply because I couldn't take any more terror. Looking at the photographs in the book a few pages later will give you a pleasant break from the war.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll wade through it...although skimming some parts will certainly happen. I had to do that with parts of "Night Goblins: a Memoir," as well. Excellent book, but awfully real. I started on "From Baghdad With Love" last night. So far, so good. I may be ok. I read some really horrific true accounts of Viet Nam back in the day, but I'm not as resilient as I was.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a lot of war violence?
Yes. There is some other material that is war-related that is tough to read.

My father went into a concentration camp one day
after it was liberated by the Russians and he said the images were still in his mind.
Wow! My father, too. He was medical and was one of the first to tend to people at one of the concentration camps. He took some pictures of the camp when he had time, for posterity I suppose. The pictures really bring the reality home.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! My father, too. He was medical and was one of the first to tend to people at one of the concentration camps. He took some pictures of the camp when he had time, for posterity I suppose. The pictures really bring the reality home.
Oh, Indeed.

I guess I can skim the disturbing stuff

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend you read the first chapter to get a feel for the situation and, if it's a bit too much, skip to chapters 7 or 8. You won't miss too much. It then becomes more interesting and I haven't (yet) had to put the book down simply because I couldn't take any more terror. Looking at the photographs in the book a few pages later will give you a pleasant break from the war.
Thank you!💖

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have finished it. I will say that the disturbing stuff is most mercifully brief, and not lingered over. And I really loved the book, overall.
I've been hesitant to start reading it, but your post, and the earlier one from gilmargl gilmargl , makes me feel less pessimistic.