Maple in Intensive Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleMaeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish my first post on the group wasn't so negative.

My wife and I have 2 older male cats Kody (13) and Mocha (11 today) and on the weekend we went out to expand our family by getting a little girl, Maple. On the second day after we brought her home she quickly started getting sick which was later diagnosed as Feline Panleukopenia. To help with the vet bills and her continued support, if she pulls through, we've set up a GoFundMe. If you or someone you know would like to support another cat owner you can see the full story here:

Click here to support Help Our Kitten Get A Chance At Life - Vet Bills organized by Nicole Wade

Thank you for reading and I'll make sure I keep updating about how Maple is going.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitations to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reasons that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MapleMaeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had an update just now that Maple is still fighting. Her vitals are steady but haven't improved, she has started clinching her teeth and wouldn't eat last night or this morning. We've been informed that this may happen when a cats body starts shutting down it will then reject food.

Posting a link to her disease:

Feline panleukopenia - Wikipedia

I'd never heard of it until this week and you should make sure your fur babies are vaccinated against this highly contagious disease. Unfortunately Maple contracted it before she could be vaccinated. We had Kody and Mocha injected with a booster shot yesterday to help protect them.

MapleMaeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is she now?
I'm sending you and her all my prayers!
Thank you Furballsmom, that means a lot. We've been getting about 3 updates a day, in the morning, afternoon and in the evening. We're in Australia so we had the morning update a few hours ago, its now 11:19 am. I'll post again once we hear from the vet. Thank you again, she's a fighter.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about that sweet vulnerable little girl. My rescue this summer was very sick too and she clenched her jaw shut anytime we tried to get anything down her- I was not told that was a sign or her body shutting down.

I wish you nothing but the best- she is indeed, a little warrior.

I am going to click onto to your link and see what is happening.

Last edited:

MapleMaeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear about that sweet vulnerable little girl. My rescue this summer was very sick too and she clenched her jaw shut anytime we tried to get anything down her- I was not told that was a sign or her body shutting down.

I wish you nothing but the best- she is indeed, a little warrior.
Thank you jefferd18. When Maple went to the intensive care the nurse had said she would always relay the worst case scenario to us, just so we are prepared for the worst. We're hoping this is the case and the situation isn't as bad as what she said. I understand where she is coming from but it sure makes for a roller coaster of emotions after each update. Thank you again for your wishes.

MapleMaeve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately we were just called and told the devastating news that Maple has passed away.

Its hard to talk to anyone in Australia at the moment because there is so much destruction going on with the bushfires. So you're messages of support have meant so much to us in this short time frame.

Below are some photos of her when she first came into our home when she was running around, purring as she played and just filling our lives with so much joy.

FB_IMG_1578016389259.jpg
FB_IMG_1578016394875.jpg
FB_IMG_1578016399587.jpg
FB_IMG_1578016403709.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss MapleMaeve MapleMaeve She was such a sweet girl and it's really sad that she wasn't with you for longer.

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes as a sign of respect, so I'll lock this one now. If you would like to start a thread in Maple's memory please do so in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace Maple, you will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.