Many questions

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal, yes. It sounds like her body is getting ready to go into labor soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is going from box to box in the house digging around. Maybe soon? Gosh she looks like she is going to explode. I picked her up from the house on March 2nd. There is no way she can go much longer... I can't believe she got outside right before I picked them up from the house I mean by days.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning Strom cried for 5 min and had a baby just partway hanging out when I got up. I took her to a box and she had 5 babies. I think that is all she is having. All are doing okay.
181638823_10157717493621277_7512724462430979213_n.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So cute! Looks like she'll be a good mama.

I'd guess that the daddy cat was black (or blue) with some white.

I didn't think she was a torbie (she has to be in order to have an orange baby), but looking back on her other pics, I guess she does have some faint orange spots. It can take you by surprise sometimes! It looks like 2 of the dark babies might have tiny orange spots too, so they could be torties.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For some strange reason I thought she might have an orange one. My mom wanted an orange one, so I am glad there was one in the litter. She has had orange cats all her life and is obsessed with them. lol. Yes she has some orange in her fur. The orange one was the first born, then the black and white one, then the 3 other black ones. I cleaned up a bit and closed the closest and put food and water and a litter box in there. It's a huge closet two sliding doors on each side of it in the bedroom. All my work that went into making places for her and she ends up in the one spot I didn't think she would go. LOL. It went really fast. I woke up she was in bed with me and my older cat. I got fed them like normal, she ate, and I ran outside for less than 5 min with the dog & she was meowing when I came back in & I was like yay labor. Then I seen something like she was pushing and one actually hanging partway out of her behind. I followed her to the bedroom got her in the box and not even a few min later the first one was out. I stayed the whole time, now letting her rest.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Leave one of the closet doors open a few inches for air and so mom can step out for a break if she wants to.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question.
She picked up a cat and was trying to move it to another room and my dog freaked out and I put the dog outside and transferred the rest of the kittens where she was with the one. Is this normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats do move their kittens at times. Where did she move them to?

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats do move their kittens at times. Where did she move them to?
She moved one to the room I had thought she was going to have them in because she always was in the place I made for her. I moved the rest in there and shut the door and left her food and water & litter box, but now she is clawing at the door. I don't know what to do because if she keeps moving them the dog is bound to get them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would put them back in the original closet and close the bedroom door.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The dog sleeps right by the closet she had them in on her bed. I don't think that place will make her feel safe at all. Should I go sleep in the other room with her and just not bother her hideout to see if she calms down?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your closet description sounded ideal. Didn’t realize that was the dog’s room. That’s why she moved them - to get away from your dog.

Did you sleep in the other room with her? The cat and the dog definitely need to stay separated for now.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your closet description sounded ideal. Didn’t realize that was the dog’s room. That’s why she moved them - to get away from your dog.

Did you sleep in the other room with her? The cat and the dog definitely need to stay separated for now.
Yes I did sleep in there with her and she was just fine. She seems happier there. She isn’t scratching at the door yet today either. I think she feels better in that room. I hope she is getting used to being a mommy. I feel she was a bit in shock after the birth and her nap and woke up confused about what just happened. Is it okay that she leaves the kittens for a small time? She jumped on the bed a couple times last night to get petted. She went back in to care for them but it just made me anxious for some reason. Also do babies sleep without constantly nursing? I seen a few sleeping and not nursing. They are the biggest ones born I would say. Thanks for all the help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, nursing moms take breaks - they need them! And also yes, babies sleep without nursing - they nurse, sleep, nurse, sleep, etc. They’ll get more alert as time goes by.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again I am not sure if this is normal for a nursing cat?
1EC35B8E-865D-4B5E-B87C-A1BABAB38F86.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they are well used but would benefit from applying coconut or olive oil or bag balm on a regular basis for now. They look chapped and sore, but I do not see mastitis.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are well used but would benefit from applying coconut or olive oil or bag balm on a regular basis for now. They look chapped and sore, but I do not see mastitis.
Thank you very much. I sent a picture to the vet as well this morning as well just to make sure. I will start putting something on them. 😺

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed one kitten today may be trying to start opening it's eyes. I took a cute little short vid of the babies and mom.