Many questions

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will start by describing my situation a bit. I I got 2 female kittens about 7 months ago. I was going through a divorce & was awarded the animals at the final hearing. I had appointments for both to get spayed & noticed one was getting fatter. She started eating more and at first I thought maybe it was worms. Well I started to see moving in her belly. I looked back at dates and believe she is due any day now. I have a few questions. My 17 year old Male fixed cat is very attached to her. He bathes her as she does him. I would like to have her give birth in a spare bedroom. I have set up several boxes in there, but she scratches at the door to get out unless either him or me is in there. I am keeping her in there because of my dog. I don't want any accidents, but I also read that male cats might eat her kittens, so I am confused if I need to live in a room with her until she has her kittens and remove the old cat, or if he will be okay. I am guessing there is no guarantee if I leave him in there, but I honestly don't think he would do anything. Also her nipples are not very big, but I did find another cat on here with not bright pink nipples that delivered kittens. Also I notice her digging like crazy in her litter box at times and in the boxes, but in the litter box she is acting like she is going to use the bathroom & nothing is coming out. Is this normal? I just notice her licking herself more as of right now, digging around etc. I have never had a cat that had kittens before & not expecting it is a bit of a shock, but am okay with it. I guess some advice, or answers to any of my questions is what I am hoping to achieve here. Thanks

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He won't kill or eat the kittens so you don't have to worry about that. I don't know about her litterbox habits. As for her grooming, some pregnant cats shed a lot, which is normal.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She and the male cat sound like good friends. He would probably be a comfort to her in the room.

Digging around is normal, but I do hope she does not choose the litter box as her nest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, they are all really close. The first 3 pics are when the kittens were younger with him & the last one about a month ago. The other one is getting fixed on Thursday, they are sisters. She is in heat now and she peed on her towels in boxes in the room so I am going to have to keep her out of there for sure. The wait time to get cats fixed around here is ridiculous.

Attachments

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, so sweet! If anything he'll be like a father to them.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the kittens because my other older cat that he grew up with died and he was letting himself go. The kittens really gave him extra time. He has always been a caring cat even to princess when she was alive.

Attachments

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aw, he sounds like a wonderful cat! Princess was so gorgeous! Look at that face in the first pictures. So cute!

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. She truly was. Just look at that sweet expression!

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, I noticed my cat is having watery stool and her butt is a bit inflamed and is scooting her butt on the carpet. Should I take her to the vet? She is due any day now. .

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The diarrhea is probably caused by her hormones if she is at the end of her pregnancy. The scooting may be because she cannot clean back there and her back end feels burned from the diarrhea. I suggest you clean her rear with a warm damp cloth and apply coconut oil or vaseline as often as necessary to soothe and prevent further chapping and burning.

MelissaWI MelissaWI

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The diarrhea is probably caused by her hormones if she is at the end of her pregnancy. The scooting may be because she cannot clean back there and her back end feels burned from the diarrhea. I suggest you clean her rear with a warm damp cloth and apply coconut oil or vaseline as often as necessary to soothe and prevent further chapping and burning.

MelissaWI MelissaWI
Thanks, I will do that today, I also have a vet appointment set up for tomorrow morning just to be on the safe side. When I got the cats from the house they didn't have any prior vet visits. When I found her outside it was on Feb 11th when she was in heat, which makes no sense because that would mean she is way overdue. Her sister Zoey was having back to back heat cycles, and am guessing she may have gotten out after that day and was in heat again and didn't know about it. I picked her up on March 2nd and she has been indoors since. I just want to make sure everything is okay with her. Her sister Zoey had her spay last Thursday and is doing well. I will keep you updated. Here is Zoey showing off her incision.

Attachments

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Storm went to the vet this morning. She did get out after the time I thought she got pregnant and is due within a week. Her milk is coming in. They gave me dewormer to give to her after the kittens are born and also the kittens. Now we just wait.... No idea how many she is having. The issues with her butt can't really be treated, just keeping it moist and non irritable and revaluate after the babies are born, the vet is pretty sure it's worms. Which makes since because she never was dewormed before. So babies soon!
178900303_10157707801726277_3473053013126171258_n (1).jpg

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a question. It seems my cat's vagina has some crusting on it and looks sealed shut? Any idea what is going on?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s probably just dried discharge. You can wipe the crust away with a warm damp cloth if she’ll let you.

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this color normal?
7EA1D718-0F9C-4F4F-A9B1-FEC1227CFAF2.jpeg

MelissaWI

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise