Manx mix, or just a Trix?

trixiebaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Trixie, and she's of a very funny shape!

My parents stumbled across this unusual little critter in the SPCA of a smaller town near the city we live in.  She was six months old when we got her, but was very small for her size.  Apparently she and her siblings were found by the side of the highway and she was the littleist out of all of them.  She was unhealthy too, and they weren't sure she was going to make it, but she's almost a year old now and has turned into a fine example of a Trixie.

She has a very round tummy, for starters.  The photo of her as a kitten in the box shows that (She didn't grow out of it!) When she was a kitten it was covered in lovely spots, but her fur's grown in quite wonderfully and hidden them.  Speaking of fur, Trixie's fur is very soft, but also very fine.  It's comparable to bunny fur in the way it feels, and she's your typical torbie.  She's brown tabby for the most part, with patches of orange tabby as well.  Her nose and face are small and her head is fairly round.  Perhaps the oddest yet, though, is the fact that her front legs are very short!  Her back legs seem like the right length for her body, but her front legs are at least 25% shorter.  It doesn't give her any grief besides having a funny way of lying on her front sometimes, but it's definitely a noticeable trait.  

We think there might be some Manx in her, especially since there's a breeder in the area.  Perhaps they're not a very good one, and ditched the kittens who had tails at the side of the highway.  All that anger inducing info aside, we think she's an interesting little thing!  We certainly are glad she came into our lives.  Hopefully someone here can help solve this mysterious combination of traits,  I'm very curious to find out what she might be!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I see a goldish mark above the eyes I usually think there could be some tortie in her.

She's a sweetheart and I look forward to learning more about her.

She looks like a Trixie. lol so sweet. She's gorgeous.

Best to you and Trixie.  Sorry I wasn't more help.

Hope 

neah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Considering the circumstances, I'd say that there is a very real possibility that the darling is a Manx or Manx Mix. Some (bad) breeders do tend to get rid of kittens that don't fit breed standards and therefore can't be sold. Since she has the very tell tale short front legs it can't be ruled out. Either way, Manx or not, she is a very beautiful cat and kudos to you for taking her in.

All the best to you and your wonderful cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixiebaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everybody who's responded!  She really is quite pretty and having a round belly and short legs is no deterrent to me, especially since she doesn't mind it being rubbed in the slightest.  Another interesting thing I found out about Manx cats is that they can't be bred together, since the kittens just die due to genetics.  It's more and more likely that she came from a breeder, but I'm very glad she has a tail, since it's probably the best tail I've ever seen on a cat!  She likes to wrap it around your hand like a monkey would, and it's just as soft as the rest of her.