Manx male cat straining to poop?

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After he ate this morning, my male manx used the litter box and then he got out and seemed to be straining to poop on the floor. He wasn't crying out or anything, he just looked like he was trying to poop. The other day we found a poop nug in the hallway that also may have been from him (we have two other cats and it was found in the morning when we woke up, so we don't really know what cat it was from) Sometimes he does have a problem because he has no tail to get the poo out and it falls off after he has left the box. (sorry TMI) He also threw up a hair ball right after. He hid under the couch. I am worried for him because I know sometimes male cats can get crystals in their urine that causes blockages or he could be constipated? I had to go to work and I am worried that he is having so much issues. He is eating and drinking. Has anyone else experienced this?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
Constipation Remedies?

Attached are an article and a thread with information on constipation. There are suggestions for home care of constipation; however, the bottom line is that you don't know if there could be an underlying cause which is more complicated than a change or addition to the diet. If this does not resolve itself or produces any other symptoms, you need to contact the vet.

You brought up blockages which is something that you want to be very cautious with in a male cat. If you suspect a blockage, he has to get to the vet. Observe his behavior and output in regards to urinating and if it does not seem right take action.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I will be bringing him to the vet when I get home if he doesn't seem better. He was completely normal yesterday. I know blockages can be a problem in male cats, that is why I am paranoid. Better safe, than sorry. Thanks for replying!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I get home. I had stopped by the store to get new litter, pure pumpkin baby food, and wilderness wet food. He is right there at the door looking normal as can be. I changed the litter out (grass seed kind), fed him some pumpkin and wet food mixed, he jumped in the litter box and went. 😜 I will keep an eye on him on my next two days off.