Manx Kitty Having Peeing Issues

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 yr old manx tabby is peeing when he is asleep on my bed! He is still using his litter box but he seems to do it when he is totally relaxed. I have an appointment with the vet Tuesday but wanted some opinions. Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m new to this site so I’m not sure how to ask my questions. My 6yr old Manx kitty is having peeing issues. I have a vet appt Tuesday. He was doing this last year but this time it’s worse. They gave him a Cerenia injection last year and he was better for a long while. They also gave me pain meds but I heard scary things about pain meds and kitties.
He only pees while he is asleep on my bed. He loves us all so much. Kisses and lays on us in winter time. He has anxiety and I just started feliway a few days ago. Anytime the AC comes on, or someone comes home through the door he jumps down and hides. I know this may be a long shot but when he was about 5 mos old our house was broken into and we couldn’t find him for a long time and thought he was stolen. Not sure if that was the root of anxieties but hoping the feliway will help. He doesn’t eat hardly any dry food, I only put out about a tbsp while I’m at work. I give him filtered water and I give him pro plan urinary can food. Any suggestions?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It’s good that you have a vet appointment for him, because there can be several causes for this. I think some tests that the vet might do is to run a urinalysis to check for a UTI, as well as some blood work to look at kidney and liver function.

I hope your kitty is on the mend soon!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m new to this site so I’m not sure how to ask my questions but this thread seemed the right spot. My 6yr old Manx kitty is having peeing issues. I have a vet appt Tuesday. He was doing this last year but this time it’s worse. They gave him a Cerenia injection last year and he was better for a long while. They also gave me pain meds but I heard scary things about pain meds and kitties.
He only pees while he is asleep on my bed. He loves us all so much. Kisses and lays on us in winter time. He has anxiety and I just started feliway a few days ago. Anytime the AC comes on, or someone comes home through the door he jumps down and hides. I know this may be a long shot but when he was about 5 mos old our house was broken into and we couldn’t find him for a long time and thought he was stolen. Not sure if that was the root of anxieties but hoping the feliway will help. He doesn’t eat hardly any dry food, I only put out about a tbsp while I’m at work. I give him filtered water and I give him pro plan urinary can food. Any suggestions?

I think get him a vet check, thats the first thing to do. Then i would talk to the vet about an anti anxiety medication. I do think cats can have PTSD issues, just like people do. I hear good, and bad about feliway. but with his long term issue i would want the vet involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think i saw you in another thread about this? Im glad you started your own!

I think the vet visit is best! And you mentioned he seems anxious when these accidents happen. I do think i would talk to the vet about anti anxiety meds as well, from what you said in the other post. These often do help a cat with this problem, but i would want physical problems checked too.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
please looking for advice for my 6 yr old Manx kitty who is peeing when he sleeps. He has been to the vet and he had a Uti. The vet gave him a shot of antibiotics. Should I give this more time? I’m so tired of doing laundry and sleeping on waterproof mattress pad and plastic tablecloth!! I also have feliway going in my room for two weeks now. He poops in the box which is also in my room for his convenience. Any other suggestions?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Possible the infection isn't gone. Also possible that peeing on your bed became a habit. Break the habit so you can tell which it is -- exclude him from the bedroom for now and see what happens.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When did you take him to the vet? When my Ruby had an UTI, she also got a shot for the antibiotics, and it took a few days before she stopped peeing all the little tiny clumps.

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Possible the infection isn't gone. Also possible that peeing on your bed became a habit. Break the habit so you can tell which it is -- exclude him from the bedroom for now and see what happens.
I will try this. Because of his infection I put the litter box in my room so he would be closer to it.

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When did you take him to the vet? When my Ruby had an UTI, she also got a shot for the antibiotics, and it took a few days before she stopped peeing all the little tiny clumps.
It was only 4 days ago. It happens when he is sound asleep. He was laying on me last night and peed when he was woken up. He has a lot of anxiety which I don’t get because he is the only pet and the family constantly shows their love for him.

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am desperate. My 6 yr old manx was peeing on my bed only so I took him to vet. He had a very mild uti. The vet gave him a shot of antibiotics and that was 2 weeks ago. He still hasn’t gone in his litterbox. I tried feliway, and then i got rid of his old box that he use to always use and replaced it with 2 different boxes with different litters in each. He pooped right away in the one but will not pee! I refuse to live with a tarp on my bed! Help!

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think i saw you in another thread about this? Im glad you started your own!

I think the vet visit is best! And you mentioned he seems anxious when these accidents happen. I do think i would talk to the vet about anti anxiety meds as well, from what you said in the other post. These often do help a cat with this problem, but i would want physical problems checked too.

Best of luck, and keep us updated!
Thanks for responding but he has been to vet and it was a very mild uti and he had a shot of antibiotics 2 weeks ago. Still not going in his box. I’m going crazy. He is happy healthy playing eating purring affectionate.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some canned food, that might help. Did he just have one antibiotic shot or did you give him antibiotics for 10 days?

bethanney

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel your frustration—I went through that with my senior cat. I had to try various litters before I found one that he likes (for some reason, he only likes Okocat soft wood litter that has no scent.) I also did away with the traditional litter box and just used a large plastic under the bed type storage container (without a lid). I also used puppy pads under the box as he likes to aim over the sides.
You’re correct in using 2 boxes as some cats will urinate in one and defecate in the other. There’s a litter called “Cat Attract” that others have had success with. Also, Jackson Galaxy has some great videos on litter box re-training.
Good luck...and hang in there!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry your cat is still peeing on your bed. It sounds like he possibly has 2 issues: the UTI and stress/anxiety.

Is he peeing in the litter box at all?

About Feliway, I've never used it, but have read there's 2 different kinds, and some people have better success with one or the other. So possibly the other type might work better for you. Also, maybe look into calming treats.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Demi had a UTI, he got an antibiotic shot, but the vet also had me give him liquid antibiotics in his food for 10 days. Make sure he gets lots of canned food too and not too much dry. Did you check with your vet about the urinary food? It might not be the right kind.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I recommend another vet visit, the antibiotics dont always clear up the uti first go round, he may need more, or another antibiotic. They are like people with this.

If he is having problems with anxiety you may need to talk to the vet about an anti anxiety medication as well. They can help a lot with some cats that dont use the litter box!

Jill loves Geno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he just pees on the couch then. Is it in humane to lock him in the bathroom with a litter box for a few hours?
When Demi had a UTI, he got an antibiotic shot, but the vet also had me give him liquid antibiotics in his food for 10 days. Make sure he gets lots of canned food too and not too much dry. Did you check with your vet about the urinary food? It might not be the right kind.
he has been on urinary food for most of his life. I stopped giving him dry but he wants to eat during the day and he only weighs maybe 8 lbs so he isn’t overweight.