Manual Meat Grinder Recommendations

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’ve been making raw food for one of the kitties at the sanctuary where I volunteer, and it seems to have completely stopped her chronic diarrhea in its tracks. Yay! But I would like to teach the staff how to make it themselves, and they’re willing to learn. I’m putting together various options for raw feeding (homemade with individual supplements, homemade with Alnutrin, commercial frozen, etc.) with costs and labor estimates so that they can make good budget and staff time commitment decisions.

They can’t afford an electric grinder (this place struggles financially), so in pricing homemade for them, I wanted to include the cost of a decent manual grinder. This would be for boneless cuts of meat.

Does anyone have one they would recommend?

(I also want to explore canned options for IBS cats because I worry that anyone adopting Rain won’t be willing to feed her raw...or won’t do it properly. But that’s a topic for another thread.)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they actually noticeably cheaper than the Tasin TS 108?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
Yeah, they’re less than $100. The Tasin is a great grinder; it’s the one I have. But it’s $170 which is way beyond what the sanctuary can afford, unfortunately. They do their best, and they don’t stint on vet care for the animals, but they couldn’t possibly justify buying the Tasin just to feed one little kitty. All of the other cats are fed Friskies canned because it’s cheap and an okay food. Most of their animals are farm animals so they have a lot of big stomachs to fill.

They could try a food processor since it’s food for just one cat. I did that when I started on raw and wanted to see if the girls would eat it before I went all out on a grinder.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Artence manual meat grinder on Amazon isn't bad. It only has one mince size though and it's not that small so it wouldn't be ideal if the cat likes a pate consistency. It's only $25. I really like Gourmia electric meat grinder on Amazon that's $60. It can't grind bone but it's able to grind any meat and organ I throw at it very quickly and it doesn't take up a ton of space. The smallest plate makes a grind that's nearly a pate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
The Artence manual meat grinder on Amazon isn't bad. It only has one mince size though and it's not that small so it wouldn't be ideal if the cat likes a pate consistency. It's only $25. I really like Gourmia electric meat grinder on Amazon that's $60. It can't grind bone but it's able to grind any meat and organ I throw at it very quickly and it doesn't take up a ton of space. The smallest plate makes a grind that's nearly a pate.
I thought I remembered you talking about manual grinders last year! $25 would probably be do-able for them; $60 might required my help to fund. But good info for my research. Rain isn’t picky at all and will eat almost anything. She’s had teeth removed but hasn’t had any trouble with some of the food I’ve made that has small pieces among the more finely ground meat. Thank you, sabrinah sabrinah .