Manny's Dna Test, My Absense And, Florence

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been mostly absent from the site over the summer months, it being the busy season with work, have opted to spend more time working with Manny which I can report has made progress in leaps and bounds. I can now officially declare him a lap cat! I may have created a monster! Looking forward to things slowing down and spending more time on the site!

I received Manny's DNA test results a couple months ago and it turns out his top match is Ragdoll and second is MC! Siberian was #6 down the line. Go figure! I was pretty sure he had more Siberian in him as well as others on the site. So What Do You Think?
Of course this may be subject to change as the data base grows, per basepaws but, I think it's safe to say he has some big breed genes goin on there. I'll update as I get them from basepaws.
IMG_4894.JPG

Last but not least. To my neighbors in NC! I hope you all have faired well through Florence and, you and your loved ones are safe and sound, out of harms way. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Hope you found a safe place for you and your fur babies. Knowing you are in Havelock, I think you guys got hit pretty hard.

I've been very lucky to this point. Just breezy and light steady rain at this point. Not completely out of the woods yet so crossing my fingers. Prepared for the worst but, hoping for the best!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. Yes, we are safe and sound, near Winston-Salem. Heavy rain here, but no danger of flooding. I still don't know about "home" yet. You can read the whole saga here: Florence
Ah, your only about 35 mins east of me! So far just a steady rain here. I'm glad to hear you're safe and sound! Hope you don't have to much damage at your house. If you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! The Wi Fi where I was was a bit iffy and I really didn't get online much at all. Back home again, and my apartment is fine. The six apartments at the back of the property flooded, and those poor souls lost EVERYTHING!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! The Wi Fi where I was was a bit iffy and I really didn't get online much at all. Back home again, and my apartment is fine. The six apartments at the back of the property flooded, and those poor souls lost EVERYTHING!
Glad to hear your safe and sound! My heart goes out to all those who lost so much. Wishing them a safe and speedy recovery!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you. Although there were some injuries, and a LOT of property damage, we didn't lose any lives here. We were blessed in that. But it is a very economically depressed area, and we'll be a long time recovering.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear you are OK.I have been thinking of you

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'mma double post this. it's probably more appropriate to post here but I posted there already.. so.. lol. here too why not?

Nailed it!!!

sabian sabian i just read your post. you got a better result than I did. When I emailed them to ask if I got the right results they told me that dante is short haired and orange
top results are Abyssinian and american short hair and tonkinese.... and i've heard of other people sending in sibling cats and getting totally different reports back for them. and the following 7 or 8 cat breeds for him are all siamese type breeds.

personally I am not writing them off entirely.. yet... I'll give them another couple years to get their act together...

but dart board...

either that or I really did get mixed up with someone elses results.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'mma double post this. it's probably more appropriate to post here but I posted there already.. so.. lol. here too why not?

Nailed it!!!

sabian sabian i just read your post. you got a better result than I did. When I emailed them to ask if I got the right results they told me that dante is short haired and orange
top results are Abyssinian and american short hair and tonkinese.... and i've heard of other people sending in sibling cats and getting totally different reports back for them. and the following 7 or 8 cat breeds for him are all siamese type breeds.

personally I am not writing them off entirely.. yet... I'll give them another couple years to get their act together...

but dart board...

either that or I really did get mixed up with someone elses results.
Well I'll double post to then! :lol: Yeah Dante definitely looks NFC with that muzzle. For sure big breed of some sort. It would be interesting to see someone send in samples from a purebred and see what the results come back as.

thefiresidecat thefiresidecat Oh NO! He looks Tonkinese to me! :flail:It does sound like maybe there was a mix up. It's funny, Manny's results had Tonkinese way down the list at like 8 I think. I think they got it closer with mine than they did yours. Manny's closest match was Ragdoll then MC and third, which I found odd was a Napoleon. I had never heard of a Napoleon but, it's like the cat version of a Dachshund Hound. You can't tell it when Manny's hair is grown out but he actually has really long legs. He's every bit as tall as my last MC but his body is shorter. Muscularly and bone structure seem a lot alike though. Siberian was 5th or 6th on the list for Manny.

I'm like you, I'm not writing them off. I don't know how all this DNA stuff works but, I'm looking forward to the updates as the database grows. It'll be interesting to see if and how the matches change.

I emailed the owner once and she was real responsive. You may want to email her with a pic and ask for a retest. Just a thought.

Edit Flag

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I'll double post to then! :lol: Yeah Dante definitely looks NFC with that muzzle. For sure big breed of some sort. It would be interesting to see someone send in samples from a purebred and see what the results come back as.

thefiresidecat thefiresidecat Oh NO! He looks Tonkinese to me! :flail:It does sound like maybe there was a mix up. It's funny, Manny's results had Tonkinese way down the list at like 8 I think. I think they got it closer with mine than they did yours. Manny's closest match was Ragdoll then MC and third, which I found odd was a Napoleon. I had never heard of a Napoleon but, it's like the cat version of a Dachshund Hound. You can't tell it when Manny's hair is grown out but he actually has really long legs. He's every bit as tall as my last MC but his body is shorter. Muscularly and bone structure seem a lot alike though. Siberian was 5th or 6th on the list for Manny.

I'm like you, I'm not writing them off. I don't know how all this DNA stuff works but, I'm looking forward to the updates as the database grows. It'll be interesting to see if and how the matches change.

I emailed the owner once and she was real responsive. You may want to email her with a pic and ask for a retest. Just a thought.

Edit Flag

they say wedgies are ancestors of maine coons so a wedgie probably should have a mc result somewhere or other. I don't think they have wedgie sampled yet. napoleon is a really weird result for him.

I may email her. I have her email. I do think he has to be a big breed. (and wedgie is at the top of my list) he's grown four inches in length in the last six months so he's still strongly growing even though he's over a year old. I don't think any of the smaller breeds do that. they said he was right about a year old maybe up to a year and a half, when I got him and now it's nearly a year later. he's also gained 5 pounds but he's not fat. no belly at all.
I think he's growing as we speak. the amount of food he's been packing away is noteworthy feed him and half an hour later he's STARRRVVVINGGG. lol
course I could be wrong. he does look kinda like a tonkinese hehe.

in the results they say see all 28. they only every honestly show like 8 or 9. there isn't a single big breed in there for him. it's all siamese based results.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing is that Basepaws gives a list of breed matches for every cat, but most cats don't actually have ANY specific breeds in their background (Basepaws says this themselves!) So it's understandable that Basepaws results would not necessarily match up with what the cat looks like. A test can't accurately detect breeds that are not there... but they have to give some kind of result because people expect it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might, should you be interested try these guys:

Cat Ancestry - FAQ

UC Davis is a world leader in feline genetics. I trust them more than anyone else out there.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I trust UC Davis too (that is where I do my genetic testing), but for most people the result will probably be unsatisfying, because unlike Basepaws, UC Davis does not report low probability matches, as they feel it's misleading. So most people would just get the result that their cat is a domestic shorthair or longhair. Most people who do genetic testing on their cats do not want that result... they want to hear that their cat is a Maine Coon or whatever it looks most like.

Last edited:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be happier with results like that than silly results. but from what i am understanding even papered cats are getting results like this. lol

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A purebred cat should get an accurate result through UC Davis, unless it's a breed they don't have in their database. The UC Davis ancestry test also includes the tests for color, hair type, and other mutations, so it's good for cats with confusing or ambiguous colors, which we see here sometimes... Or, you can do a cheaper test for just colors, if that's the only information you need.

Last edited: