Mange(?) In Feral Cat. How To Help?

Arlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two feral cats have adopted me. I made them beds on a covered porch and have fed the cats for months. They are affectionate toward me but won’t let me touch them. One of them looks as though he is developing mange. How can I help him if I can’t touch him?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may not be mange. It could be a reaction to a flea bite. I would make sure the area they use for beds is washed often. That could help a whole lot. You can work to gain their trust a bit further too. I’ve convinced lots of ferals to let me touch and, eventually handle them. It starts by just sitting with them. I like to do it at feeding time. I slowly get them used to that and as I do I get closer and closer to the food. After a time I try hand feeding them special treats or even putting the food dish on my lap. They alresady trust you do the next step is just a matter of spending time with them. It’s a process many here can continue to walk you through if you want to do it.
Are they spayed or neutered? If not then it’s very important you get that done. A feral colony can quickly start and those two might leave/get pregnant or have others join them if they come into heat. TNR ( trap Neuter and release ) is something else many here can help you to accomplish. If you get them trapped then a vet check can be done to determine the skin problem as well. I have many ferals that are now part of our family and they are wonderful cats. It took time but many became sweet teddy bears and all can now be handled.
I think you are so great for caring and helping these kitties. I look forward to hearing back.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Getting them TNR'd should be a top priority. When you get them trapped to be spayed/neutered the mange or flea issues can also be treated.

There is a saying that goes... "if you feed, they will breed". Your small group of 2 can quickly multiply before your very eyes.

I too have many ferals that are now part of my family. It can take time and patience, but it is well worth the extra effort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may not be mange. It could be a reaction to a flea bite...
These are very good ideas. I will wash the bedding and see if it helps. The one I’m talking about, tuxedo cat, is ear-tipped, thank goodness. I think he’s been owned before, as he will meow. The other one seems to have a tipped ear, but it’s not as prominent as the first cat’s. She never meows. They adore each other. If there were going to be kittens, they would be here by now.
Another thing about tux boy: He used to gorge himself, and while the smaller cat hid when I put out the food, he would eat hers as well. He got grossly fat. Suddenly he has lost a LOT of weight. He’s not thin but has gone from so fat he could hardly move to healthy looking, active and agile. How did he do it? I wondered if at first he was afraid the food source wouldn’t last, and maybe now that he trusts me to provide, he’s eating more reasonably. Or could he be sick? Could it be tied to the skin condition? BTW I noticed this on/in one ear months ago. It slowly thinned his hair further down and around the ear, and now a patch has appeared along his lower spine and to one side of it.