Managing nutrition for multiple cats

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats ranging in age from 5-14. The oldest has arthritis & hyperthyroidism (recent diagnosis and we have more tests to do). His younger brother at 13 is overweight and also has arthritis but is otherwise healthy. The next at 8 has allergies (not sure what specifically). The other 3 kitties are 5, 5 & 6 and in good health, but one is addicted to kibble and one is a Siamese and predisposed to certain conditions.

What are your best suggestions for staying sane while making sure they each get the proper portions and ingredients specific to their needs? Do you multi-cat parents separate them at meal time? Any other suggestions? Would this thread be more suitable for the behavior forum? Thank you :blackcat2:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
With that many cats, the most pain free way to manage their mealtimes would be to invest in a microchip feeder, imo, as feeding them in seperate rooms is bound to get tiring. The Surepet feeder is one of the more popular ones, but there are plenty out there.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Of my 3,Peaches wants everyone else's but can't or she throws up so she is locked in my bedroom til my other cats are done. So glasses only 7 pds. When I'm preparing food she jumps on the counter so I put her down and she jumps back up and so on,like 10x

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can do it, separate them into groups. They don't all need special food. Maybe some of them do, you didn't really specifiy. Those who may need something for their arthritis might be about to be given a Glocosemin chew rather than special food. The kibble addict, if he is the only one who eats it, could still eat kibble but at specified meal times, not be free fed, IF he is. or he could have a chip to enter a special feeder just for him. But I would just think about feeding those with special food requirement into a different room where you can keep an eye on them, then feed the rest as you are currently doing.

BTW, I never fed my seniors anything different from my adult cats. Just saying. But I DO feed my cats in separate rooms. One is a piggy, so he eats in the kitchen. The other eats wherever I am so I can keep an eye on his bowl to make sure the piggy doesn't get to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CFD-JTZ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! I was wondering if someone would say anything about feeders. Its something I'll look into. If they work well it seems like they could be worth it. I'm trying a few things out though and just wanted to see what others have tried. It hasn't really been an issue for me until the last year since health issues have been popping up for a few of them. I don't plan on feeding different foods if I don't have to, only different portions, meat sources etc. Thanks again!