Mammary Tumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoxZig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm at a loss. I am trying to decide which one would be better for my cat Moxie, the Life Gold or ES Clear.

My little girl was diagnosed with mammary cancer almost 9 months ago, in September she had lumpectomy surgery then exactly 4 months later a new much larger tumor appeared, she's not in good shape. Right now she has an infection in the large tumor so she is on antibiotics as well as Prednisoline & Gabapentin.
I want to try a holistic approach so I am trying to decide which of the two would help her. If anyone has any experience with either or both of these..

I would shell out the money for both if I had it but we been going to the Vet every other week & its not cheap.
I am desperate & need advice.

Of course I know that she may not have long since she is 17 but I want to make her comfortable if at all possible.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd recommend consulting a holistic vet in your area. A good holistic vet would be able to tell you about interactions with the medications she is currently on or at least ask you vet about it. Both of them are similar herbal supplements which may do more harm than good. One thing to be careful with those is that they usually have an oil and cats process oils differently than dogs. I do use CBD for my cats so I do say this knowing the position of wanting holistic, it just should be mindfully pursued with partnership of a holistic vet.

MoxZig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd recommend consulting a holistic vet in your area. A good holistic vet would be able to tell you about interactions with the medications she is currently on or at least ask you vet about it. Both of them are similar herbal supplements which may do more harm than good. One thing to be careful with those is that they usually have an oil and cats process oils differently than dogs. I do use CBD for my cats so I do say this knowing the position of wanting holistic, it just should be mindfully pursued with partnership of a holistic vet.
Oddly enough my Vet said she isn't familiar with either product, I thought that was odd but I decided to go to my neighborhood NaturalPaws store, they had some products with mushroom in them but were very expensive, the woman working there showed me a CBD product, CBD was definitely mentioned from my Vet to try but I thought it was harder to come by.

I bought Pet Releaf Hemp Oil 330. I hope it helps her, sadly I cannot afford to see a 2nd Vet so I am going by what my Vet says only & whatever research I do online.

NatalieM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was also diagnosed with mammary tumors in September. She had surgery to remove the full chain on that side.
They got good margins and the lymph node showed no cancer spread, so they said chemo not needed and to just monitor. Two months later (end November) I felt more lumps on the same side. We decided we’d do a second surgery after the holidays but when we saw the oncologist in early January they had doubled in size and now showing early traces in the lungs. I guess it is very aggressive. She was on Palladia for about a week and then developed a respiratory infection that really set her back. No appetite, very weak, labored breathing. Did Veraflox antibiotic for 7 days which cleared it up but still no appetite. Very weak and wobbly. Dr thinks it could be from the Palladia so we have stopped. Started syringe feeding wet food + Nordic Naturals omega3 and Thorne Veterinary Immugen supplements. Considering cbd oil and have also reached out to a holistic vet for guidance since it seems our traditional vet thinks there’s not much left to do and supplements won’t really help her. But I refuse to give up and not at least explore the holistic route. So I’m right there with you. Would be interested to hear how the cbd works for your girl. Sending all positive thoughts your way.

MoxZig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
24 Hours ago my baby passed away. Her breathing was laboured and I contacted my Vet, who wasn't there but made sure she was able to get us in. They said to go right away, all I wanted was at least one more day to spoil my child. On the way there she perked up quite a bit (she's blind) but she was sitting up more alert than she was at home & I was fighting with myself on whether to go back home but it was Saturday, if anything happened today there would be only emergency care which I cannot afford.

I really just wanted them to say she would be ok, that she just needing hydration & an IV would help her. That wasn't the case, the Vet listened to her vitals & said it wasn't good. We had to make the decision then & there to let her go. I wanted to be strong for her but it was just too much.. they started the process & the worst part is because she was just so dehydrated that they had to go about giving euthanasia through the heart, they said most parents do not stay in the room so I went with what I thought was right.. now I regret not being there to hold her as she passed, after they gave us time to say goodbey & they took her from me the most heartbreaking was her face, she looked confused that my scent was falling further away... it shattered me. Its all I could think about all night & I wish I would'v just gone in with her. I don't know why it is recommended for parents not to be there but the fact wasn't weighs so heavy on my heart its almost too much to bear.
I wish there was so much more I could've done. And now I can only provide my experience going through the same thing with their beloved cats. I hate Cancer, I hate that this happens to such innocent creatures & puts some of us in these positions to decide their fate..its the hardest thing in the world.
I dealt with so much loss in my life but this somehow is the hardest blow to my heart.

Thank You all for your advice, it was all very much needed & it's nice that there was places like this where we can go to pour out our hearts & get advice from people who have been there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so very sorry this happened. It may be that the actual process might have left you with some really rough memories.

When you are able, you could consider posting about her in the Crossing the Bridge Forum. It would be a lovely way to honor her :redheartpump:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I really just wanted them to say she would be ok, that she just needing hydration & an IV would help her. That wasn't the case, the Vet listened to her vitals & said it wasn't good. We had to make the decision then & there to let her go. I wanted to be strong for her but it was just too much.. they started the process & the worst part is because she was just so dehydrated that they had to go about giving euthanasia through the heart, they said most parents do not stay in the room so I went with what I thought was right.. now I regret not being there to hold her as she passed, after they gave us time to say goodbey & they took her from me the most heartbreaking was her face, she looked confused that my scent was falling further away... it shattered me. Its all I could think about all night & I wish I would'v just gone in with her. I don't know why it is recommended for parents not to be there but the fact wasn't weighs so heavy on my heart its almost too much to bear.
I wish there was so much more I could've done. And now I can only provide my experience going through the same thing with their beloved cats. I hate Cancer, I hate that this happens to such innocent creatures & puts some of us in these positions to decide their fate..its the hardest thing in the world.
I dealt with so much loss in my life but this somehow is the hardest blow to my heart.
MoxZig MoxZig ...I read through your thread, and it left me with tears, but not just the sad type of tears, because you had to let go and help your dear cat Moxie cross, but also hopeful tears,...because people like you exist in this world. :rbheart:

You had to make such difficult decisions for you cat.
Reading your thread, you did everything you could for Moxie. You gave her extra months to live, and tried so hard to give her more.
I know your beautiful cat knows this.:bluepaw:

You also realized, that when she could not get any better, that her quality of life was not good, and she was suffering, that you had to let her go.
I think that for us cat people, ...that is the hardest decision ever.

(I also remember when I had to make those decisions for previous rainbow cats, how they would also rally in strength, near the end, much like you said your Moxie did, and this would confuse me, and cause me to doubt the timing, but my Vet had told me that this was often the case with cats, as it is with some people, too. They tend to rally, and get bursts of strength near the end.)

Please don't regret that you were not there with her in her final moments,...because you were. She knows that.
She was in the process of dying, and she knows the Love you have, and will always have for her.

(My younger sister could never be in the room when the final injection was given for any of our animals, and chose to be waiting in the car, or chose to say her goodbyes while the animals were at home. She knew she didn't want to remember that last scene. I'm the opposite, but it's still so difficult to erase some memories, and now I have to choose to remember all the good and healthy ones, which are more abundant, than the ones with illness, sadness, and endings.) I also remember Vets asking if I was sure I wanted to be there, and explaining how difficult it would be, and what to expect. I think they do this, since they may feel it is kinder to say your goodbyes beforehand, and one Vet even told me that he couldn't be in the same room, when his dog was euthanized. I think they want to make it less difficult, but either way the sadness and loss is not avoidable.

I think your cat Moxie knew that she had to leave you, that she was near the end, and that the confusion you saw may have been sadness in knowing that she had to separate from you. She wouldn't want you to be too sad, or sad for too long. I think our cats are with us to bring us joy, and love, and would not want their people to grieve too long...if at all. Cats live for the moment, and teach us a lot. How to be strong, and how to enjoy Moments in Life, where we might just miss the moments, if we don't pay attention, since they go by fast.

I wish you Strength, and Peace in the days to come, and know that your cat Moxie would want this for you, too. :hugs:
I also hate cancer, but for different reasons, and every time I hear the word, ...I just get angry, and sad. Science and medicine have made many advances, ...just not far enough, yet. Maybe one day.

Just know that you did everything you could for your sweet cat Moxie, and made the hardest but kindest decision for her, and she knows this. You'll be shattered for a while, because the Love you have for her is so great.
I'm hoping in time, the pain lessens, and only the Love remains. Only the good memories, and the ones that make you smile and laugh when you think of her. :grouphug:

Status
Not open for further replies.