Mammary cysts or tumours

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow I have to take my little black cat, Katy, to have cysts removed. She is perhaps 7 - 8 years old, neutered in 2013 after being trapped and giving birth to 3 very sick kittens, who all died within 4 days.

Katy had been living in a feral colony and, although she is not a feral cat, she is a “scaredy” cat. When she had to have most of her teeth removed, she became a tuna fish addict and hated me for giving her food which hurt. It took her almost a year to recover from that experience.

Then, in July last year, she was hit by a car and disappeared into the fields. A neighbour found her the next morning - one eye completely damaged - and we rushed her to the vet. Apart from her eye, her upper jaw was broken but couldn't be wired because of other tissue damage. The vet had to stitch her tongue and she was kept at the surgery for 2 days. I was then told she was blind, couldn't swallow and that I should come by to give permission for euthanasia. When I saw her cowering at the back of her box, I talked to her and with her one eye she seemed to be pleading "Please take me home!" I was sure she wasn't blind and I'd already spoken to my daughter, who's very good at treating humans and animals, and she'd said, "Bring her home and we'll see what we can do".

I took her home with Ringer's solution, eye drops, painkillers, antibiotics and some concentrated astronaut's liquid food. I carried a dog crate out of the cellar and set it up with a small litter box and lots of blankets. I opened up her box to lift her in her new hospital bed and hop! She flew out of my arms and crept downstairs to where the cat litter boxes are kept. I didn't want to frighten her so just tried to keep an eye on her, without actually following. Having used the box, she crept back upstairs and into my bedroom. From then on, she spent most of her time on my bed - still bleeding somewhat from her nose and mouth. She always insisted on creeping downstairs to use her litter box. At first, we had to treat her 3 times a day, but, being weak, she was easy to pick up and take to the living room, where she was fed and put on the drip, which we hung from the cat tree.

It took 7 weeks before she was able to feed herself - tuna fish, of course. I had been in hospital and when I saw her I wondered if we'd done the right thing in keeping her alive. Apart from her useless eye, which was bad enough, her face was disfigured and she was dirty. Force feeding her had meant that food landed on her paws and under her chin. Wipes and wet flannels were not a very effective means of keeping both ends of a cat clean and she smelt dreadful. On my return, dirty little Katy wanted to sleep with me, right up against my face. Perhaps she was glad to see me and decided enough was enough. A week later she'd cleaned herself up, her face had filled out and she was my sweet-smelling little Katy once again. We’ve been back to the vet, her eye will not have to be removed ...... but now I've felt these lumps under her skin. The vet says they don't seem to be attached to anything, but they should be removed. So off we go again.

I've written this to keep my mind off the drama which is going to be played out tomorrow. The first problem will be catching her - nobody useful to help but sometimes it's easier that way. Let's hope that the unhelpful members of this household are still in bed when it's time to put her in her carrier. As soon as I close just one door, Katy panics. Think of me at 7 am (hopefully not) following her from one room to the next, ready to grab. Then the drive to the vet with wobbly knees and shaking hands, then the wait and finally, what will I do with her when I get home? Try the dog carrier again or just let her please herself.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd already spoken to my daughter, who's very good at treating humans and animals, and she'd said, "Bring her home and we'll see what we can do".
!!Bless you both!!

Having used the box, she crept back upstairs and into my bedroom.
wow, what a cat :heartshape:

Try the dog carrier again or just let her please herself.
...maybe the dog carrier near to your bed, at least until she recovers from the anesthesia.

Can you use the tuna and gradually transition in some pate either adult or even better kitten food, or friskies extra gravy variety- pate or the gravy from shreds et al? Add in some kmr? pedialyte? She needs extra nutrients, taurine, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!Bless you both!!

wow, what a cat :heartshape:

...maybe the dog carrier near to your bed, at least until she recovers from the anesthesia.

Can you use the tuna and gradually transition in some pate either adult or even better kitten food, or friskies extra gravy variety- pate or the gravy from shreds et al? Add in some kmr? pedialyte? She needs extra nutrients, taurine, etc.
Thank you for replying.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear! Tuna is only used at difficult times (probably because of the smell, even sick cats can be persuaded to eat!) Katy is no longer a tuna fish addict - I used tuna-fish cat food rather than pure tuna fish. I did as you say, mixed it with other cat food. When she couldn't swallow properly, it encouraged her at least to try.
Today, she eats normally - in spite of so few teeth, she even chews pieces of chicken and kmr.

The dog crate is a bit too big for the space in my bedroom. But, my cat carrier is large. It's wire - ideal for treating ferals at the vet. I will no doubt, leave her in it as long as possible, placing it in the bedroom. I'll let you know, how I get on - assuming I can catch her in the morning!
:runningcat:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I caught her easily enough this morning. She was sleeping with me, so I just had to pick her up, making sure I had hold of her front legs and put her in her carrier.

The vet said it was good news: the cysts came from the lymph glands and she didn't have to cut much away. They are now in formalin and will only be sent for analysis should more appear.

The bad news: Katy is panicking with her collar and baby-body. When I came back from the vet, I put her in the dog carrier with a litter tray. She slept for a while and then panicked. She managed to get out of the body and was thrashing at the sides of the carrier. I let her out and she went into the living room and fell asleep in the sun. We put her baby-body back on again and she went back to sleep (picture). I don't know what caused it, but suddenly she tore out of the room chased by my other cats. She hid under the bed in the spare room. I shut the door and decided it would be the best place to leave her, on her own but not too confined. I placed a litter box and water in there.

Things seemed to be going well, until she decided she needed the litter box. She had managed to get out of her body again and was jumping at the door trying to get out. On no account was she going to use a litter box in a bedroom! When I opened the door, she ran downstairs and unfortunately tried to get into the litter box with a hood. The collar got in the way and, once again, panic. She is now under my bed, desperate to urinate but not in the litter box up here! The other cats are shut in the living room so I am hoping she will calm down and go downstairs. There are 4 litter boxes down there, 2 open and 2 with hoods. I have taken the hood off the XXL litterbox, which was where she had wanted to go. But, without the hood she may well feel too exposed to use it.

It is going to be a long night! She is such a scaredy little cat. It has always been, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back with this kitty.

Katy complete with collar and baby body.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Poor baby - she smells like the vet and stress, and the other cats aren't going to handle that well.

Take off the collar and as you mentioned contain the other cats, and put the hood back on the box. Wait until she goes to her specific litterbox in peace :), then maybe put the collar back on, if it's really truly necessary.

If possible and the other cats don't care about their litterbox location, set them up in their own room until sweetie here is a little more healed up, and smells less like the vet.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Poor baby - she smells like the vet and stress, and the other cats aren't going to handle that well.

Take off the collar and as you mentioned contain the other cats, and put the hood back on the box. Wait until she goes to her specific litterbox in peace :), then maybe put the collar back on, if it's really truly necessary.

If possible and the other cats don't care about their litterbox location, set them up in their own room until sweetie here is a little more healed up, and smells less like the vet.
What a day and a half it's been! I’m worn out and had forgotten to eat anything yesterday, I was too worried about Katy.

I hadn't read this quote till this morning. But I removed her collar last night, promising myself to put it back on again, but then I lost the cat! Knowing that she couldn't be far away I eventually went to bed. This morning I resumed the search, found her baby-body under the spare bed but she was obviously avoiding me. I had to let the other cats free and having 3 black cats, I was hearing "Katy's here!" only to find it was Meghan or Mogi who'd been spotted. I put the dog crate back in the cellar and cleared away the extra litter boxes and food bowls so that the house is "back to normal".

Eventually, I sent an email to the vet to say that I'd failed, and Katy was loose in the house without her collar and body and had hidden herself well away. She reassured me that as long as she didn't remove the stitches, she should be okay.

Well, we have seen Katy a couple of times - she appeared for food and even sat with my husband to be petted while I was out shopping. She disappears as soon as she sees me approaching. But she looks fine.

I'll now have to try to ignore my darling Katy, until she trusts me again. I only hope this will happen before we have to go back to the vet, otherwise I'll have no chance of catching her to get her into the carrier. And it won’t be the first time, I've had to cancel an appointment at the last minute.
:clapcat:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
we have seen Katy a couple of times - she appeared for food and even sat with my husband to be petted while I was out shopping. She disappears as soon as she sees me approaching. But she looks fine.
whew! I'm so glad! She'll forgive you :)

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:catrub:She's forgiven me and we're friends again! She doesn't lick her stitches (much) so I hope I'll not be in trouble with the vet next week. My two mad cats have calmed down and the other timid cat has come out of hiding so all's right with the world - at least as far as the cats are concerned.
I'm taking deep breaths and putting on my cool, calm and collected face!

Katy Relaxing.jpg
I caught her easily enough this morning. She was sleeping with me, so I just had to pick her up, making sure I had hold of her front legs and put her in her carrier.

The vet said it was good news: the cysts came from the lymph glands and she didn't have to cut much away. They are now in formalin and will only be sent for analysis should more appear.

The bad news: Katy is panicking with her collar and baby-body. When I came back from the vet, I put her in the dog carrier with a litter tray. She slept for a while and then panicked. She managed to get out of the body and was thrashing at the sides of the carrier. I let her out and she went into the living room and fell asleep in the sun. We put her baby-body back on again and she went back to sleep (picture). I don't know what caused it, but suddenly she tore out of the room chased by my other cats. She hid under the bed in the spare room. I shut the door and decided it would be the best place to leave her, on her own but not too confined. I placed a litter box and water in there.

Things seemed to be going well, until she decided she needed the litter box. She had managed to get out of her body again and was jumping at the door trying to get out. On no account was she going to use a litter box in a bedroom! When I opened the door, she ran downstairs and unfortunately tried to get into the litter box with a hood. The collar got in the way and, once again, panic. She is now under my bed, desperate to urinate but not in the litter box up here! The other cats are shut in the living room so I am hoping she will calm down and go downstairs. There are 4 litter boxes down there, 2 open and 2 with hoods. I have taken the hood off the XXL litterbox, which was where she had wanted to go. But, without the hood she may well feel too exposed to use it.

It is going to be a long night! She is such a scaredy little cat. It has always been, 3 steps forward, 2 steps back with this kitty.

View attachment 327854

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I did something wrong there, and it's too late to edit. Blame Mogi, she walked over the keyboard. :sorry:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm doing a really awesome HAPPY DANCE!!
Wish I had seen it!
I have just been back to the vet to have the stitches removed. The incision is healing well and we are hoping that no more growths will appear. The trip to the vet today took less than an hour from Katy being grabbed and put in the carrier to being let out again back home. Katy doesn't know what hit her - when we got back she wasn't sure whether she was hungry, tired or frightened. She's now sleeping on the chair next to mine. It couldn't have been such a bad experience.

Talking to the vet about the current situation: she was very happy to be allowed to work. She is restricted to only treating more serious medical ailments, innoculations and neutering do not fall into this category. There is less work to do (and less money involved) because of the restrictions but she is glad to be able to work and to help sick animals.

End of my comments in this thread - unless we have to go back to the vet with the same problem. Let's hope not! 🤞