Mammary cancer Oh no

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, My vet has a very good suspision that my cat of 12 years has this cancer, I notticed a lump a couple weeks ago, and took her in on the forums advice, He says it is maybe 1cm  which is good, and also feels something in her lyph node also, like a small mass, he suggest removing the whole gland all breast connected,  I am really not sure if I want to put her through this, they slice her all the way open..

has anyone had this procedure done? if so how bad was it, and what was the survival time.. also what will happen if I don't, how long..

my wife and I are really sadend by this, to say the least..  we love her very much..

the biggest worry is her suffering either way, our main concern, we are swaying towards not going through with it. he also said they will do an xray first  if it is in her lungs, no surgery, I do not understand why he cannot just remove the one tumer..  thank you very much   Rick

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry but you need to discuss why he wants to do the operation he does with him.  We are not vets, we haven't examined your cat and she might have a potentially very serious condition.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No experience with this, but I am so sorry you are going through this. Best wishes on making the right decision for all of you. I'm sure others will come along with some advice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsareok

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he diffinately thinks it is cancer because of the way the tumor feels, and how this spreads, and in her lyph nodes sorry about the spelling, remove all because there can still be some in there.. he said catching this early ike I did, 2 out of 3 recover. think that is good odds.. we have to make a quick decission,  if in her lungs, no operation, a matter of time. she is our kitty cat.. :( 

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be a big op, but she could have quite a few good years left if it goes well.  I would be asking him how many of these he has done, and what he thinks her prognosis will be, and what the basis for that view is.  I suspect I would be going ahead with the op.