Mamacat adjusting to life in the house

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I trapped this adult feral 2 1/2 years ago and been working on taming her ever since. When I brought her in the house for the winter (she lived in an outbuilding because she was too wild - taming her was a big project), the other cats jumped her and she moved into the dirt crawl space in the basement. Thru many adventures, now she is mostly successfully living in my house. She doesn't go everywhere, since she is still not getting along great with the other 2 cats, but she spends most of her time in the kitchen now.

She gets lots of play time.  The other cats will eat about 18" away from her and there have been zero fights. Just some hissing and growling, occasionally. Mama is still afraid of the TV, with the moving pictures. Radio, dishwasher, occasional spousal arguments, no problemo.  My husband can now pet her without her running away a few steps then coming back, so she's getting braver about being approached from above and standing her ground. I have to say, what a relief! I live in Minnesota and she was living in a homemade cubby with a homemade heater (bird dog magazine design) and heating pad, and now I know she's warm and safe and don't have to trudge to an outbuilding 5 times a day during bitter cold weather. I even had a remote thermometer out there to keep track of her.

I'm so glad it's working out! She plays with toys good, too. She had to learn that.  I just thought it might be nice to put some good news on here. Adult feral cats are tamable!  Wow has she been a lot of work for me and my husband, though. I've tamed several feral kittens, including her two, and they were all very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you.

How good just to read a happy tale.  And what an inspiration to others.