Mama kitty with an ATTITUDE...

jen-jen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we adopted my kitten from a shelter, we also brought home her mother, and nice (at the time) Siamese. HER kittens were weaned on Friday, but we have ended up with four more YOUNG kittens.

We had run to the shelter to pick up a peach and tabby female that my mom fell in love with. This one had four kittens... all lovely, and we were willing to take them on, and find solid homes for two of them when they were old enough. As I was carrying the queen out to the car, she had an un-provoked temper tantrum, and suddenly attached herself to my neck with claws and teeth. After a brief struggle, she was on the ground, attached to the bottom of my brother's shoe. (He didn't step on her... she just grabbed it.) So she eventually got away, into the woods in back of the shelter. Needless to say, after this episode none of us were willing to take her home. (I have a mark on my neck that looks VERY much like a vampire bite...)

We also weren't willing to leave these four darlings at the shelter, especially without a mom. So we took them home. The Siamese I mentioned earlier in this post was still bagged up, and so we brought her in to a back room (unused and therefore private) and she fostered the babies. She was very good about allowing them to suckle, but she didn't become "attached", persay. Now she has taken to growling and hissing at almost anything... wether or not the kittens are around her. She seems to hate my brother (that's okay, I do too). Naturally we don't want her hurting the kiddos, or the humans. I've taken to swatting her on the nose with two fingers when she does this... she's not sore, because she does this when she's not being handled. And when she's being handled, sometimes she will behave. It depends on the moment.

This is all very trying, but for the moment I am willing to give her a chance. What can we do?! Any help is greatly appreciated.

kittykratz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please make sure the foster mother does not have mastitis or inflammation of the nipples. I had a lovely cat who fostered a litter of kittens, and they were so rough on her, one of her teats was actually bleeding. It is best to give kittens mother's milk, but not at the expense of the mommy. She may be biting if she is in pain or uncomfortable. I hope it is nothing, and she is just acting out because she is a little frazzled. Good luck. Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen-jen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the first things I did, before handing over the babies to her, was to make an examination (out of habit... we raise dogs). She's fine... doesn't seem to be sore at all in the tummy region or limbs. Anyway, she doesn't react to touch there as if something was hurting. I'll look again to be sure. Thanks!