Mama is getting adopted. How will the kittens deal with her gone?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They’re a little over 8 weeks old now. The folks adopting mama are taking a kitten too. Will the kittens be ok emotionally? They’re really independent, eating very well but on occasion nurse. Mama doesn’t really have it for long tho and walks away. (I apologize for this thread, I just saw the rules about multiple threads re: the same litter. I had posted about 5 or 6 was ago about these guys. It won’t happen again!)

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to keep mom and babies together a bit longer? Kittens really should stay with mom until 12 weeks old but 10 weeks old would be fine. Is she and the kitten getting fixed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to keep mom and babies together a bit longer? Kittens really should stay with mom until 12 weeks old but 10 weeks old would be fine. Is she and the kitten getting fixed?
I can contact the people and tell them your advice. They’re chomping at the bit to get these guys as they lost their kitty about 3 weeks and their hearts are broken. They will definitely fix them. I want to do what’s beast for the kittens.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, 8 weeks is awfully young. Both mama and kittens would be more content if the new family can wait another few weeks.
Ok. This won’t make the folks happy but the kittens and mama’s mental health is priority one. I’ll just have to take another job to keep them in litter and food....... 😂😹😂😹❤

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, 8 weeks is awfully young. Both mama and kittens would be more content if the new family can wait another few weeks.
So I called the folks this am and told them about the advice given here. I said “8 weeks” and she said “too young”. I actually heard her heart hit the floor. But I made sure she and the hubby are coming over on Saturday for kitten love and see if they get chosen by anyone. I dreaded making the call so I did it early. So, they’re coming tomorrow for kitten healing.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Waiting until 12 weeks is best so that they don't develop behavior problems later on. They learn bite inhibition for example from siblings during this time. Some cats that are taken too early also develop separation anxiety or tend to be bitty. They learn during the 6 to 12 week phase.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Waiting until 12 weeks is best so that they don't develop behavior problems later on. They learn bite inhibition for example from siblings during this time. Some cats that are taken too early also develop separation anxiety or tend to be bitty. They learn during the 6 to 12 week phase.
I understand fully. Thank you fort our responses. I appreciate them.