Mama Had A Kitten Or Kittens And Hid Them, Then We Lost 1

animalfree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, how is everyone? This is my first post and a terrible one, but just had to tell someone who might have some thoughts and to vent it to. I never have anyone in my family or friends who really care for animals and especially during a time of horror. So I tend to deal with it myself and bottle it up trying to understand.

I love animals, I would do anything for them and help any time I can. I have a house full that I live with. Several recused dogs and cats and some found and just grew up with. It's really a great life and just want them all safe and happy. But I was at my local pound one day and saw two cats and asked what was going on. They said they were feral and were going to put them to sleep. I said they're scared, cats take time. I never dealt with feral cats but wasn't going to watch them die.

I wondered if they were abused too, but either way I would take care of them and try to calm them down. I took the male about 2 months ago to get neutered and it wasn't easy getting him, but thought all was well now.

Then about two weeks ago I heard a tiny meow and her scattering up in the drop ceiling. A place she would sneak up to to feel safe. She must have gotten pregnant right before I took him and couldn't believe it. I would home all the kittens with us and they could live as a family so wasn't worried about that, but was about her up there and sounded like she was moving them or just one. I had no idea.

I took the other cat that was down there out of there hoping she would bring them down in one of the secluded areas I setup for her and them. She didn't, but gave her some time and space and saw food and water was gone but wasn't sure if it was a lot.

I got worried the next day when I peaked around up there and saw her by herself. Why would she not be with them and where were they. I looked everywhere up there and nothing, were were they! I put my camera on a stick and got a camera snake to look in places to make sure they didn't fall and nothing and finally found a spot that I couldn't squeeze into. They must be there maybe, but couldn't see far enough. What do I do, it was in an area that was surrounded by block and went back maybe 10ft

I thought should i try to break into it or would that make it worse and they could get hurt. So saw other stories of just let the mom take care of them and thought she was, then found one tiny baby in the ceiling on friday and it's all my fault.

There had to be something I could have done to get up and back in there, somehow safely. Maybe she wasn't nursing him, maybe something was wrong. I don't know. But their eyes were closed and there was a tiny bit of cord sticking on their belly so I didn't know when this really happened and all I can think is him/her being left back there all alone and sick or not being fed with them having no idea what is going on. She brought him out so I thought she must have started nursing but maybe it wasn't enough or something was wrong

Just a million worries cycle through my mind and feeling that tiny kitten all scared then dying like that and it sickens me. Sorry if this got long, just wanted to introduce myself and what happened the best I could. Thanks for your time and thoughts

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened!!

I'm very glad you felt you could share with us, --sometimes things are just impossible and we're the ones who are witness to it.

Hopefully you can get her spayed?

RIP little baby, your struggles are over and you are in a place of warmth, sunshine and peace.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi animal free. Welcome to TCS. I'm sorry your reason for joining us is so worrying. If I have well understood you have adopted a couple of feral cats, a female and a tom cat. You have had the tom cat neutered but the femelle was already pregnant. You don't know the number of delivered kittens since she has hidden them where you cannot either reach or see them. You eventually found a dead kitten on the roof of your home. Hopefully his/her mom separated him/her from the others after death had taken place.

You don't know for sure where his siblings (if any) are. I would provide food and water for mom on the roof of the house so that she may continue to nurse the remaining kittens. Surely they will finally come out of their hidden place.

More experienced members than I will surely give you more professional advice. Wishing you the best outcome possible. :hugs:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Golondrina brings up a great point about food, as much as you can provide for her, even extra kitten food because that will give her more nutrition :) whether she's nursing or simply recovering from the pregnancy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suspect the dead kitten was a goner, he died because there was some fault on him.
A caretaker can sometimes save such a weak kitten. But in nature momma takes it away from the nest or even eats it up... she doesnt wants ants flies nor predators to the nest.

Serve momma with food water litterbox - and hope for the best.
Her situation now is better than if alone on her own devices outside, no? :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalfree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry this happened!!

I'm very glad you felt you could share with us, --sometimes things are just impossible and we're the ones who are witness to it.

Hopefully you can get her spayed?

RIP little baby, your struggles are over and you are in a place of warmth, sunshine and peace.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animalfree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your support and suggestions. I always had fresh food/water and litter ready for her but just hate not knowing what happened and why. And yeah I agree she is safe with us and better than outside and I will keep her that way ,but struggle feeling I couldn't be there for the kitten while thinking it could have been avoided. Wish she brought him out so I could have been the caretaker though. Is there anything you would have done to get in there?

I thought for a second of getting my nephew to squeeze through the ceiling maybe and help, but was worried he could hurt them by accident and hoped the mom would just take good care of her kittens until they were ready. My only other option was cutting through the ductwork and cement block but again the possibility of someone getting hurt.

I guess seeing her away from the nest in a different part of the ceiling the day after birth was an indicator something was wrong like StepanZ said. The kitten had that tiny bit of cord on their belly and I was reading they fall off after several days? So I wondered if it was only a couple days he was nursed. It looked like he was and I'm sorry if this is upsetting or graphic but dried milk in his mouth that was open or was it because he was congested. His nostrils were both plugged with something like milk?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That might not have been milk, it may have been mucous due to him being very sick.

There's no way to know for sure, but I'm thinking this little one was truly sick and it would have been incredibly challenging to try and save it. :vibes::rbheart:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they are weak perhaps dying the digestation process stops. We see often on dead kittens milk or kmr flowing out...even if they got food several hours earlier.

The trick for a caretaker is to try with just pedialyte / glucose solution. It doesnt need to be digested but gives some nutrition and thus buys some time.