Mama gave birth!

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yesterday morning, Embers gave birth. When I woke up, three had already been born. They were clean & no placentas in sight. Shortly after I arrived, she gave birth to a 4th and seemed to be tending to it but when she laid back down, the sac was off its body but not its head so I pulled it off. I found that she hadn't fully cut the umbilical too. I waited to see if she would do it, but she started having contractions so I tied off & cut the cord so it wouldn't tangle with the newborn. As I finished that, the 5th was born. She did not tend to it at all. I waited as long as I could to see if she would lick the kitten but when I saw the kitten struggling in the sac, I ripped it open and it crawled out. I tied off and cut that cord too. They all nursed great. After a rest, mama seemed better and started licking the kittens. She ate, got some goats milk, used the litter & all was great yesterday!
This morning, around 11am I went in to check on her and she hissed at me and I noticed she was panting then just breathing fast. I gave her some goats milk and she came out for some food...she seemed ok while out of the nest. I did weigh some kittens which seemed to stress her out...but seemed ok when I put them back. But over the course of the day when I check on her, she is breathing a little fast. I just brought her another serving of KMR (2 servings so far - 2 TB of water with 1 TB of KMR per serving) and she ate half a can of food - all while laying in the nest nursing the kittens. While she eats, she doesn't breathe fast. I know some cats have post labor pains - do you think that's what this could be? The emergency vet said she could simply be stressed/worried about the kittens & that breathing fast might be "her thing" & that as long as she's tending to the babies, eating & going to the litter, all should be ok.

All the babies have put on weight since yesterday - the runt coming in at 110 grams today from 99 grams, all the rest more..up to 136 for the 'bruiser' of the group!

Just looking for some reassurance here. :) First time kitty doula over here & trying to make sure I don't miss any signs.
Here' are pictures from yesterday just after they were all born :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom !

I'm just now seeing in an old thread that panting/fast breathing is not abnormal for new mamas while nursing. That's a bit of a relief. Anyone know how much KMR should be given in a day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Labor, delivery, and nursing are very stressful on the body. It takes a couple of days for a cat‘s system to adjust to nursing. Low calcium can also cause panting, but you are doing right to offer the KMR. It will bring up her calcium level. She should be okay soon.

Thank goodness you were there to help her and save those two kittens. Mom was clearly exhausted and overwhelmed. Kudos for that too!

Do keep us posted, and congrats to you and mama kitty! 😊

J jonikat

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One question...I have been feeding her Royal Canin mother & babycat wet & dry food. However, when I went to reorder a bag of dry food, I discovered that EVERYONE is out of stock. Chewy.com told me that there's an ingredient supply issue and that there's no estimate for it being resupplied. If I run out of what I have, do you have a recommendation of a good kitten/nursing mom quality dry food? TIA!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’ve had the same problem for the last year trying to find the brands in stock that my cats love. I never had an issue pre-Covid. Before you switch, try Amazon. I just checked and I do see Royal Canin in stock. Otherwise, Blue Wilderness Buffalo makes a nice kitten dry and wet food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, since it’s the same brand, and it’s kitten formula, I think it would be a good substitute.

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom I haven't heard of those brands...I'll look into them, thanks.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 they did say it's because of Covid. I see some Royal Canin that's just kitten food on Amazon, but I'd been feeding a Mother & Kitten dry food. Do you think there's a big difference? Would the plain kitten food be ok?
Hi! The Royal Canin Kitten is an ok substitute, but be aware that it's much lower in calories than the Mother & Kitten (282 calories/cup vs. 479 calories/cup), since the plain kitten one is meant for older neutered kittens, which have a lower energy requirement than young, unneutered kittens. You can feed it, but they would have to eat a lot more of the plain kitten formula to get their energy requirements. It might be worth getting a different, higher calorie kitten food. You could try Purina ProPlan kitten food, or one of the other brands mentioned above.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Last edited:

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for my delay in responding! Thank you, everyone! I double checked Petsmart the night I posted this and found they had the R.C. mother/baby dry so I ordered 2 3.5LB bags. :)
Everyone seems to be doing well, growing & gaining weight. The biggest (last born - the orange one in the pic below) kitten is growing so much faster! Everyone else is putting on at least 12 grams a day, the big one is more like 20 grams! But it doesn't seem like anyone is lacking for food...even the runt is gaining every day.
I've been giving mama KMR 3 times a day and today she finally seems to be breathing less fast than she was the last 2 days. How long is it ok to give her the KMR?
Here's a pic from yesterday!

Attachments

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Question: how long does it take for a mama's belly to go down? My cat's belly is still round after giving birth on wed 3/24.
I thought her belly would be less round by now. I didn't see placentas for the first 3 since I wasn't there for the births, but they were cleaned up and umbilicals cut so I assume she ate them. I discarded the last 2 placentas so I don't think there's a placenta inside. Is there an amount of time for it to go down? She's pooping and peeing in her box.

Also, she's been having bouts of heavy breathing since the day she gave birth - usually while nursing, tonight she was panting while I was checking out the babies. She seems to have stopped panting after I left....so maybe it's just stress since she was a stray cat as of last month?

Sorry, I'm just a nervous nelly! I'm also keeping an eye on the black kitten who only gained 3 grams from 6am to 8pm...I got it to latch onto one on the better nipples and it nursed for 15 minutes without the bigger kittens interfering and it gained 2 grams. So I'm going to keep double checking that it gets time at the good nipples.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be stress - is it warm in her nest? Have you tried any cat music for her? I'm not sure how long it takes for the tummy to return to a normal shape...

jonikat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be stress - is it warm in her nest? Have you tried any cat music for her? I'm not sure how long it takes for the tummy to return to a normal shape...
I have a heating pad under the bed in the nest for the kittens. The room is about 72 degrees. I wonder if it's just too hot for her in the nest. Do you think the room at 72 degrees is warm enough for me to unplug the heating pad? She's in the nest with them most of the time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unplugging it might not be a bad idea, at least for right now while she's with them so constantly. Try that and see how things go - if there's any point where she's not with them for very long in these early days while they can't regulate their body temperature, just turn the pad back on.