Mama cat hates son

htnikki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a mama cat and her son. They both got along really well for awhile, but now, the mama is trying to kick the butt of the son. The son has always been real lovable and the mama has always been more aloof. Now, the son hides and the mama cat is very lovable. I have had them physically checked and nothing. I don't want to get rid of either one of them but its not fair that my boy cat has to stay hidden or she torments him. What can I do to help these two get along?

Thank you!
Nikki

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi Nikki and welcome!

I have a few questions. How old are they? When did you get them and how (did she give birth in your home)?

Are they both spayed/neutered? When did this behavior start? Did anything of significance happened in their lives at that time?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

htnikki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Adopted mama kitty from a shelter, she wasn't even a year old. We didn't know that she was pregnant. Had several kittens in home and decided to keep son. They are both spayed and neutered. They used to cuddle and then one night during the night, the fighting began. Can't think of anything that has changed or anything that they might see different.

Hope you can help!

Thanks,
Nikki

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Well, these things can happen. When did it start? Was it around the time she was trying to wean him? I'm thinking maybe that was her way of telling him to keep his distance.

Or maybe they just had a fight and they need some time to get over it.

My advice would be - when they fight don't shout at them or punish them. Try to distract them with a favorite toy or a treat. Keep the son busy with interactive kitty toy (so he won't bother his mom when he's bored). Give them time. Chances are they'll get along again once they've settled into a fixed social structure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

htnikki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Anne,

He was still trying to nurse and she would let him, but now that has stopped. I was thinking that could be what started it all. I really appreciate you responding!

Nikki