Mama cat gave birth 3 days ago. She's now meowing every time she sees me and I don't know what that means

aVeni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat gave birth to 2 kittens 3 days ago. It's her first litter and she's quite young herself, it was an oops litter. Anyways, when she's leaving the kittens just laying in the hall she'll meow at me whenever I pass by. I thought it might be that she's in need of a assurance and affection but if I call her or pat her it seems like it's not that and she's acting as if she's looking for something.( It's not her kittens as she has clear access to them all day and night) We have been to the vet with her and the kittens and they said that all is okay and it doesn't seem like she's having any more in ( that could explain that behaviour) Is there anyone who experienced same situation and if so what was the case for worry? I'm just worried I'm missing something she's trying to communicate.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Welcome!!
so, she's nursing them - they're gaining weight? Can you try some Cat Music to see if it helps her relax? You're absolutely sure there were only two kittens that were born?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s just communicating with you. She wants attention, reassurance, and affection. As you said, she is quite young herself so she is probably confused by all that has happened. Stay close to her for now. Sit with her for awhile here and there.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

aVeni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Welcome!!
so, she's nursing them - they're gaining weight? Can you try some Cat Music to see if it helps her relax? You're absolutely sure there were only two kittens that were born?
She's taking care of them just fine. I'm sure there's no any more than 2 because she's really dependent and she was waiting for me to give birth, with both of them. She's however acting as if she's still pregnant. Circling around the room, meowing, trying to get under cabinets and hiding in my bed sheets ( like she's looking for a nesting place again?? ) I'll have to give it a go with relaxing music and see if that does something for her. Thanks for your answer.

aVeni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm staying with her almost all the time and when I'm at work there's always someone else with them in my room. Whenever I leave the room for awhile, she'll meow at the door and she's ragamese (having siamese traits she can go at it for hours...)
She’s just communicating with you. She wants attention, reassurance, and affection. As you said, she is quite young herself so she is probably confused by all that has happened. Stay close to her for now. Sit with her for awhile here and there.
Hi, I'm staying with her almost all the time and when I'm at work there's always someone else with them in my room. Whenever I leave the room for awhile, she'll meow at the door and she's ragamese (having siamese traits she can go at it for hours...)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It could just be her hormones out of wack. Also if you are giving her attention every time she meows you are reinforcing the behaviour.

Cats also can go into heat fairly soon after giving birth even while nursing.

Personally I would enquire about scheduling a flank spay especially with how backlogged vets are right now.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is eating and drinking plenty? Cats also want to keep a very clean and fresh spot for the babies. If she seems to be looking other places she may want a new hiding place for the babies. Instincts are strong. Maybe put a cardboard box with a clean piece of bedding down to see if she wants to move her babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you remain concerned as to whether she still has a kitten to deliver, an x-ray at the vet would show if there’s anything left in her uterus.

aVeni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Today one of the kittens has died, as I was to the vet, the case is most likely a fading kitten syndrome. (It was the weak one) I believe cat momma might have sensed something earlier, than we could see. That could also be why she was acting the way she was. Since the kitten died she hasn't been acting 'weird' anymore. She's eating and drinking all good, still taking care of the remaining baby. Doesn't seem to be mourning as of now. She won't get in contact with male cats before 'fix' and I'm planning on spaying her as quick as possible. Thank you everyone for your answers.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness!

RIP sweetheart 💖

I'm so glad momma is calmer, poor darling. Thank you so much for the update!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry for the loss of her kitten. I sincerely hope mom and remaining baby will be fine.