Mama cat DESPERATELY wants to move kittens outside

hodgesC1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray mama cat and four babies, they’re roughly 2.5-3 weeks old. I brought them all in about five days ago and up until two days ago everything was fine. Unless she’s feeding them, she’s meowing nonstop. She’s tried picking up a few of them and taking them to the back door and even tried to carry one to a closed window.

I don’t want her going outside for obvious reasons, not until she’s fixed and the babies are weaned at least. I live alone in a very quiet apartment, I don’t even turn the tv on most of the time. They are safe and sound in a laundry basket with blankets and a heavier blanket laid across the top with an opening for mama. She has food, water, and two litter boxes. All the babies seem to be perfect and eating normally.

She meows and nudges me no matter how hard I ignore her. Although I don’t think she’s in pain of any kind I may go ahead and make her an appointment for this week just to be safe, in the meantime any advice is appreciated.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The appointment will be good just to rule out any health issues. It sounds like you have a good set up for everyone. It could just be that mama's used to being outside and has recovered enough and comfortable enough that she's wanting to go out again.

I'm not really sure what to suggest other than maybe setting up a nesting box elswhere inside in a known about but also hidden place and see if she is interested in it and moves the kittens over. That may help a bit, as she may feel that where they currently are is to noisy or something.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will second the suggestion of setting up some "hidden" spot for her to put her kittens. It may help, at least somewhat. You are doing all of the right things, and are the main reason these babies have a chance to grow up and find loving homes. WELL DONE!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hodgesC1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious - how are things going now?
Things are much better! She still meows a little from time to time to go out, but hasn’t tried to move them. I’ve been getting them out a couple times a day to explore since they’re walking now and she has no problem with it, I think she appreciates having a babysitter :)