mama and brother aggression

crickets mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well first of all, I want to thank everyone on this site for their posts.  They have been a great help to me over the last several months! 

I found a young, starving, pregnant cat in July.  Three weeks later, she had 7 healthy kittens.  I found homes for 5 of the kittens.  I kept mama, and one male, and the runt female.  The kittens are just over 5 months old now.  I got mama spayed when she stopped nursing.  I got the male nutered about three weeks ago.  I got the female spayed on Wednesday.  I had her in the bathroom for three days, so she could have some recovery time.  Every one has gotten along great, until now.  They were all the best of friends, cuddling all the time.  The brother and sister were partners in crime, and were always together.  So I let the female out of the bathroom today, and mama and her brother are being very aggressive.  They are hissing, growling and swatting at her.  I am worried, because she is so much smaller than the other two.  I feel like whatever the reason, if I put her back in the bathroom, its just gonna be that much worse when I let her out.  She backs down though, so it does not turn into a full blown fight.  I just want peoples opinion on what may be going on with them, and what I can do to fix the problem.  I have gotten great advice and support from this website, and I really appreciate your opinions and expertise.  Thanks-- Cricket, Hex, and Cicadas mom.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She still smells like the vet and the medication they gave her during the surgery.  So they don't recognize her is my best guess.  Give it another few days and things will be back to normal.  To help, try rubbing her down with an old blanket or something she used a lot before surgery or even something the other to have used.  Some say with baby powder but I worry about them ingesting it... A familiar scent is good enough. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crickets mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice.  I did what you said.  Things have gotten a little better today.  They are still hissing, and being aggressive, but right now they are all laying on the back of the couch, which is an improvement.  Although a good foot separates each cat.  Mama and brother were there first, and when sister came to join them, mama did hiss at her a few times, but I firmly told her no several times, and eventually she stopped. They are all asleep now.  I am hoping you are right, and things will gradually get back to normal.  I would hate to see them not get along like they have.  Maybe it was silly to think they would all be the best of friends their whole lives, but I was hoping.  Thanks again!