Malnourished 5 week old kitten

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my cat had kittens 5 weeks ago. 6 all together. One passed away. Now I have one who was on the brink of death. Because Mom stopped feeding her. I Bought a bottle and kmr. Been feeding her a lil every half hour to hour. She has improved. But is still so skinny and sleeps alot. Gets around. But not alot. I just dont know if I am doing what I need to do for her to get better. I have called my vet and can not get through. I just need advice. She is up walking around now. But literally sleeps all day. And only goes around the room then goes back and lays down. While her litter mates are wild most the time. Between cat naps. Also momma has statted feedong and cleaning her a bit again
But the bigger ones fight her off the nipple and she is so weak she will give up and go to sleep.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give her as much KMR as she'll take. She's also old enough to start on solids, although she should still have KMR too. Start with Gerber chicken baby food. Once she gets the hang of that, try canned Fancy Feast kitten food mixed with KMR to make a mush. feed her as much as she'll eat 4 or 5 times a day, and KMR in between.

Can you get full-fat goat milk? Preferably raw if you can find it, but Meyenberg from the grocery store is fine too. If you can get it, that might work better for her than KMR. You can also get some vitamin paste, but go easy on that, mostly she just needs good food.

Also keep trying to get in contact with the vet. Internet advice can't replace a professional opinion :).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So my cat had kittens 5 weeks ago. 6 all together. One passed away. Now I have one who was on the brink of death. Because Mom stopped feeding her. I Bought a bottle and kmr. Been feeding her a lil every half hour to hour. She has improved. But is still so skinny and sleeps alot. Gets around. But not alot. I just dont know if I am doing what I need to do for her to get better. I have called my vet and can not get through. I just need advice. She is up walking around now. But literally sleeps all day. And only goes around the room then goes back and lays down. While her litter mates are wild most the time. Between cat naps. Also momma has statted feedong and cleaning her a bit again
But the bigger ones fight her off the nipple and she is so weak she will give up and go to sleep.
Put her to momma when the biggies are asleep or doing something else. So she wont need to fight them off!

Continue to feed her extra, even if she begin to eat from momma. Dont worry, nursing momma is nice, so she will get her share if she is strong enough to get anything from nursing.

The daily need is about 30 ml kmr or goats milk per 100 g. So if she is say, 300 gram (11 oz) it will give about 90 ml a day... More if she wants, but shouldnt be much less.

What kmr are you giving? Can you get raw goats milk?

You can always put a droplet of white caro syrup or honey on her gum. Or mix it in her kmr / goats milk. Gives some quick extra energhy.
If you have real glucose sugar / dextrose, ute this instead.

A good trick is to mix out the kmr powder not with water, but with clear unflavored pedialyte, as pedialyte contains some glucose.. Its always some extra calories for free. Say, half water and half pedialyte. If the typical mixing is 1 part powder, 2 part water, make it 1+1+1.

Use clean water, so best filtered or from a good well, or bottled water. Chemicals in city water may be harsh on a weak kitten. Them dont matter much on a healthy kitten, but you have a weakly one on hand...

Some nice vitamine paste may also be useful.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Put her to momma when the biggies are asleep or doing something else. So she wont need to fight them off!

Continue to feed her extra, even if she begin to eat from momma. Dont worry, nursing momma is nice, so she will get her share if she is strong enough to get anything from nursing.

The daily need is about 30 ml kmr or goats milk per 100 g. So if she is say, 300 gram (11 oz) it will give about 90 ml a day... More if she wants, but shouldnt be much less.

What kmr are you giving? Can you get raw goats milk?

You can always put a droplet of white caro syrup or honey on her gum. Or mix it in her kmr / goats milk. Gives some quick extra energhy.
If you have real glucose sugar / dextrose, ute this instead.

A good trick is to mix out the kmr powder not with water, but with clear unflavored pedialyte, as pedialyte contains some glucose.. Its always some extra calories for free. Say, half water and half pedialyte. If the typical mixing is 1 part powder, 2 part water, make it 1+1+1.

Use clean water, so best filtered or from a good well, or bottled water. Chemicals in city water may be harsh on a weak kitten. Them dont matter much on a healthy kitten, but you have a weakly one on hand...

Some nice vitamine paste may also be useful.
I appreciate you advice so much. I am gonna feed her then head out to get some more stuff to strengthen her up. You have definitely helped me out sooo much. I am keeping her. Once I get her back to healthy! We named her Lucky. I will keep you updated on her progress.

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate you advice so much. I am gonna feed her then head out to get some more stuff to strengthen her up. You have definitely helped me out sooo much. I am keeping her. Once I get her back to healthy! We named her Lucky. I will keep you updated on her progress.
Also I am givinh her the pre made. Kmr kitten milk replacer. Kittens up to 6 week it says on the can.

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give her as much KMR as she'll take. She's also old enough to start on solids, although she should still have KMR too. Start with Gerber chicken baby food. Once she gets the hang of that, try canned Fancy Feast kitten food mixed with KMR to make a mush. feed her as much as she'll eat 4 or 5 times a day, and KMR in between.

Can you get full-fat goat milk? Preferably raw if you can find it, but Meyenberg from the grocery store is fine too. If you can get it, that might work better for her than KMR. You can also get some vitamin paste, but go easy on that, mostly she just needs good food.

Also keep trying to get in contact with the vet. Internet advice can't replace a professional opinion :).
Ok I am gonna look into the goats milk. I have tried giving her cat food mixed with kmr these past few days she has no interest in it yet. She was still running aroumd with her littermates a week ago. They all wanted the soft food I gave them. Took to it well. But her she wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s a runt it may take her longer to wean to wet food. The Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food will give her lots of protein. Let her lick it first from your finger, then guide her to a flat plate.

Get a can of powdered PetAg KMR. You mix up just what you need at a time and you can keep the can fresh in the freezer.

Do you have plans to spay mom soon?

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she’s a runt it may take her longer to wean to wet food. The Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food will give her lots of protein. Let her lick it first from your finger, then guide her to a flat plate.

Get a can of powdered PetAg KMR. You mix up just what you need at a time and you can keep the can fresh in the freezer.

Do you have plans to spay mom soon?
Oh mom is definitely getting spayed. She is mini. I think thats why she was having trouble with 5. I found her sitting on this one this morning. She is feeding still
I heard you cant spay until shes done.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some vets like them to be fully dried up but if the vet is willing, she can be spayed as soon as the kittens aren't dependent on her milk (just in case she makes them stop nursing after the surgery), even if they're still nursing sometimes. So usually 8 or 9 weeks.

Be sure to keep her away from intact male cats, because she'll probably go into heat again soon.

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some vets like them to be fully dried up but if the vet is willing, she can be spayed as soon as the kittens aren't dependent on her milk (just in case she makes them stop nursing after the surgery), even if they're still nursing sometimes. So usually 8 or 9 weeks.

Be sure to keep her away from intact male cats, because she'll probably go into heat again soon.
Good asvice. I have been trying to call my vet for some reason I cant theough. I got everything that was suggested by you all. She is perched on my shoulder right now. Wide awake. She climbed up there. Seems to be doing good. Still not playing.

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey her lil booty is getting raw. I was using wipes. To clean off left over poop. Because mom isnt. What should I be using and what should I put on the raw spot.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Poor baby needs relief. Only use a soft, warm but damp wash cloth - no wipes. And wipe gently. You can use A&D ointment on her bum. In the meantime, until you can buy a tube of A&D, you can apply vaseline petroleum jelly, or coconut oil, or olive oil.

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Omgosh your the best. So glad I found this site. I have petroleum jelly for tonight. This lil girl is just going through it. She has been more awake and alert today. Definitely improving. Besides her booty now. I appreciate you so much.

Lindz2295

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok now she wont eat soft food again. She is almost 8 weeks and keeps refusing it. Only wants to eat off mom. And mom hardly wants to feed anymore. Also doesn't want the bottle.