Malicious site attacks

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I am getting no end of sites attacking my browser when I open the cat site.
It started with a fake Mcafee scam, which I solved but now it is various sites every time I log on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
No, I wouldn't know how to do that.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See if turning off your PC helps. Go to the Windows button in the taskbar, then go to the Power button, and then choose Shut Down.

A different web browser may or may not help but worth a try. If your computer has an antivirus program and other security programs, run those to see if your computer is affected.

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
See if turning off your PC helps. Go to the Windows button in the taskbar, then go to the Power button, and then choose Shut Down.

A different web browser may or may not help but worth a try. If your computer has an antivirus program and other security programs, run those to see if your computer is affected.
Thank you, yes I have Norton, it blocks the malicious stuff and lets me know. I can get the details from that and block the sites in Chrome settings, but new ones keep coming up; they take over the web page closing the cat site. I will try downloading Firefox and see if that does the trick. I've also cleared Chrome history and system restore, but they have not worked either.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
As LTS3 LTS3 mentioned it does sound like your computer has some type of a virus. I would download another anti-virus program and try that.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Norton is not that good, I know someone who it allowed a really nasty virus through, she had to get the computer repair people to fix the computer for her, took them half a day to get her computer running right again

Change antivirus, is my advice, G Gary O

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
As LTS3 LTS3 mentioned it does sound like your computer has some type of a virus. I would download another anti-virus program and try that.
Thank you but no there is no virus on my machine, every attempt by malicious sites to enter is logged and blocked. The only problem is that I need to reopen the Cat Site every time Norton disables the threat. This is in other Cat site Forum threads going back to January (Is anyone else having this problem?); it always starts with McAfee scams and the real McAfee site is aware of it and gives instructions on how to block the intrusion.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I apologize, I haven't read all your posts but have you shut down your computer for a few minutes? That can also help :)

Gary O

Mad Cats
Young Cat
Purraise
I apologize, I haven't read all your posts but have you shut down your computer for a few minutes? That can also help :)
Don't worry everyones trying to help, I appretiate it. Yes, it just happens within minutes of my opening the Cat Site, even straight after a system restore. I have Firefox now, on the thread from January someone said that worked for them, I'll see how it goes, I'm using Firefox now and it hasn't happened; fingers crossed :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it happens again, immediately completely turn off your computer.

When you want to power down your computer, it is important to do so properly.
  • Step 1: Click the 'Windows' button at the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
  • Step 2: Click Shutdown.
  • Step 3: Wait for the system to power itself down.
  • Use the power button on the cpu to start the computer back up.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it happens again, immediately completely turn off your computer.

When you want to power down your computer, it is important to do so properly.
  • Step 1: Click the 'Windows' button at the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
  • Step 2: Click Shutdown.
  • Step 3: Wait for the system to power itself down.
  • Use the power button on the cpu to start the computer back up.
is it allowed to press and hold the power button when its completely unresponsive? As in, not responding to anything? i had to do this before cause the computer completely froze up and would not do anything, wouldn't even let me click on start (years ago)