Males still interested in sex after neutering

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it happens, just because they are neutered doesn't completely kill their interest in doing the deed!  I had heard people claim this but never experienced it for myself... Until King Arthur.  He was neutered over a year ago... And for the majority of the time since then, he had shown no interest in girls or sex.... Well now he has a big interest in it!!!  I've caught him mounting the girls (they are all spayed)...

At first, I thought he was just trying to assert his dominance as the MAN of the house, but now I am not so sure?  He also mounts stuffed animals!  He isn't spraying so that's a good thing.  But I was worried that maybe he wasn't "completely" desexed... So I took him to one of my instructors because I didn't want to insult my vet and accuse him of lying... Sure enough, he's neutered.  He said he's just "going through the motions" he probably isn't even getting "excited" he's just doing something that feels natural to him. 

Has anyone else dealt with this.  I mean, it's not all the time... But maybe a couple times a week here in the last month or so.... It's so strange!! 

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry. Neutering does not completely remove a tom's sex drive because unlike queens, tomcats have some of that in their brains. I also had a cat who did this. Wilbur was a stray for months and I got him as an adult so I always assumed he sired kittens before he was taken to a no-kill shelter. Like your boy, Wilbur never sprayed after he was neutered. But the mounting and neck biting made Patricia mad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, one of my veterinary school instructors said it's quite normal behavior... Some can even still actually do the deed.  He doesn't believe King Arthur can, though.  He doesn't actually "hump" he just bites the back of the neck and straddles a few times until one of the girls yells at and attacks him for doing so.  I think he's switched his interest from live females to fake females because they are more cooperative!
  But still even with the stuffed animals, he doesn't hump... My instructor doesn't believe he can get excited he just feels he should be doing this because it's what his brain tells him he should do.  It's wierd.  It just threw me off because though I'd heard it I never had a male cat actually do so after neutering!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get hormone levels tested.

I have one neutered boy (done at 10 weeks) who mounts the girls in heat, rest of the time he's a normal boy and doesn't bother with the pet girls or those not calling.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spice sometimes does this to Julie.  Bites the neck, half straddles her, makes no humping motion and then most of the time ends up washing julie's ears. Is it a dominance thing?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Cats definitely do mount other cats ( of either gender)  as a dominance thing.    But I don't think King Arthur is trying to dominate the stuffed animals, LOL.   he's using them as his own personal blow up dolls.   So something has re-awakened his interest in sex....  maybe smelling a queen in heat somewhere in the area, or hearing her calling.  

It's definitely not unheard of for neutered male cats to still have an interest in sex especially if they were neutered after sexual maturity -- even more likely if they had already mated before they were neutered. 

I had an adopted male Siamese mix who had been neutered as an  adult and he stayed interested in sex for years.     He basically could do anything that a whole tom could do, except he was shooting blanks.   & he didn't confine himself to cats, he had a long torrid affair with a stuffed animal, humping it several times a week when I first adopted him and gradually got less and less frequent but it wasn't until he was almost 10 that he totally stopped. 

Like King Arthur,   my member of the sex- crazed castrati cat club  had a kingly name -- Louis Quatorze.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, he's pretty much given up on live girls!! 
  He doesn't do it a lot but just maybe once or twice a week or so...  But not much more than that.  That was my instructors thoughts that possibly a female animal in heat may be coming by and he gets her scent.   King Arthur was neutered at 6 months old.  He never mated.  He never sprayed but he did show interest in mating shortly before he was neutered.  He used the same stuffed tiger and panther!  They seem to be his "blow up dolls" of choice!!  I have been calling him Bud Bundy for the past couple of weeks!!!

Piper's always been the alpha.  No one challenges her.  And King Arthur, bless his heart, though he is a BIG boy... He is a bit of a wuss and afraid of Piper when she is in her Piper Viper mode and defending her alpha position.  So I don't really see him trying to assert his dominance.  I think it's just a "if it feels good, do it" sort of thing!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Welington (and the original Duke had an eye for the ladies, cone to think ot it LOL) has done htis for years, though almost exclusively with his little companion, Biscotte. He has occasionally had a go at one of the otehr girls or a stuffed animal, but either he gets swiped hard or gets no satisfactory response (!) so he goes back to Biscotte, who seems to enjpy his attentions, in that she lies co-operative and even licks his head before and after. The strange thing with those two is that now they don't seem to always use the classic position - they can be lying side by side or 'spooning' when he starts to thrust at her, and fi she is facing him she will sometimes almost hug him. It can be very embarrassing to watch, as he definitely gets excited and licks himslef afterwards to clean himslef. But he was neutered at 6 months and hte vet has assured me he is neutered. We just all call it a love match!

fate5001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neutered male does the same thing. Although, he does get excited. He does this pawing/kneading thing and howls really loudly.  I didn't think much of it until he rolled over when he was finished one day and his penis was slightly showing. He has taken over my dog's stuffed animals. No one will touch them anymore because they are usually wet when he is done. He does this stuffed animal thing a few times a day. Thankfully, he usually does it in a room by himself, when he thinks that we have left or have gone to bed for the evening.

oosie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is taking my daughter's stuffed toys and carrying them around.  He does a lot of meowing and I've seen his hips shaking and thrusting.  It doesn't appear he's ejaculating which is good since they are my daughter's toys.  I'm glad you posted this question because I needed to know what my cat was doing!

smakki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my "Simba" 6 months old fixed male cat and he had married just one day before the operation and I really feel bad for him I have a female and I wants him to get excitet with her .. is that possibel? And deos he feels bad for notbbeing ble to shoot? Appreciating your reply.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my "Simba" 6 months old fixed male cat and he had married just one day before the operation and I really feel bad for him I have a female and I wants him to get excitet with her .. is that possibel? And deos he feels bad for notbbeing ble to shoot? Appreciating your reply.
No, your cat does not care that he doesn't mate. He isn't interested because the hormones are gone. Is your female spayed? She will be much happier if she is! Mating is actually quite painful for females and it's not for fun.

You're attaching human emotions to the importance of sex, which makes sense, but not to your cats.

smakki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A million thanks to your reply. I do care about my cats and its happy to know that they both dont care about mating. Your reply is more than suffiecent.
A nother question does male cats feel fun for mating or just like females?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A million thanks to your reply. I do care about my cats and its happy to know that they both dont care about mating. Your reply is more than suffiecent.
A nother question does male cats feel fun for mating or just like females?
Cats don't mate for pleasure, so while it may not be painful for males, it is not fun. They mate because they are driven to by hormones. Once you remove the hormones, they don't feel something is missing in their life. The hormonal urges are very uncomfortable for them. Getting them spayed and neutered is the best thing you can do for your pets!

smakki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@SMakki
 are your females spayed?  It will calm everyone down and make them happier if so.
A million thanks to yourbreply

No she is not spayed and I have a fear that she could be pregnant. How can I help not cpmpleting this pregnancy?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A million thanks to yourbreply

No she is not spayed and I have a fear that she could be pregnant. How can I help not cpmpleting this pregnancy?
Have her spayed now. Are you saying that your cats mated before he was neutered? How long ago was this?

Last edited: