Male neutering 4 year old. High temperature?

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I took my boy the vets for his castration on the 12th Monday, by morning on the 13th I noticed he had been bleeding as he was licking at the incision as soon as I got him back from the vets and obviously this was the cause. They didnt send him home with a cone either (your guess is as good as mine). So I take him back 13th afternoon and the vets said he has a clot in one of the testicles? He sends me home with nothing, no advice as to what happens if it bleeds again or carrys on bleeding absolutely nothing! I even had to ask him to pop a cone on. Oh and now half 9 on the 13th he has started bleeding once again! The vet also told me he has an ulcer on his eye which is a result of the drugs they have him when he was under the knife. My question is what do I do now? Now that he is bleeding again? What is normal behaviour 24+ hours after neutering.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the blood. The fresh one is now and the darker one is from this morning before I took him the vets

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unfortunately, we are not Vets here. For this one, you really need to be firm with your Vet's office to get the answers you need.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely. Back to the vet. And ask exactly where this bleeding is coming from. And how he could possibly have a clot on one of his testicles when THEY WERE REMOVED. Insist on full, complete answers, and ask questions when you don't feel comfortable with what you are told.

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All he said was he has a clot in his right testicles, he said it usually happens when it bleeds post op and the ulcer in his eye too which is bad they did that to him using a form of ketamine during surgery as a result he said he would give me eye drops as a good will gesture and to go back in a few days... literally his words

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was a vets4pets practice. I literally just feel sick with guilt, I feel like I have done more than good to him. I cant stand it. But what you have said is tapping my mind now as to what do I do? Do I put a complaint in? Surly the response would be down to covid as why they didnt explain absolutely nothing to me!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I flat do not care for those "big business" practices. I don't know...but the failure is with the VET, not with YOU. You have no reason to feel guilty about this at all. Whatever you decide, we're here!

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Took my boy the vets today and he said his ucler has gone now and also his incision for castration is healing well, but he also said my boy has a high temperature.. when I asked how/why etc he said he wasnt sure but to keep an eye on him for tonight and then give him a call tomorrow. Any advice on this please? My boy is very sleepy, he has eat today, only had a a little bit of liquids and he has used to toilet too for both, I find this good but he is just so very sleepy 😔 I hate it, he just wants to be behind the bed near the window on his own asleep? He is also grooming so I'm lost?

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy had his castration on the 12th, has over come a few problems since but all good now apart from his high temperature. I was told today he is healing, no sign of infection but he has a high temperature😔 any advice on how to help my boy lower his temperature? He is very very sleepy wont move really at all.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
That would worry me - a temp of between 100 and 102 is normal. How high is your cat's temperature? Does he have an appetite? You can try putting a cool, wet towel on him but if he remains lethargic I would call the vet back ASAP.
Fingers crossed he feels better soon. :crossfingers:

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He didn't tell me numbers, just he has a high temperature. He is eating sort of but it is more drinking and going to the toilet I am worried about more which he is not really doing😒. He has found himself a nice place under the door which I have put blankets down for him he seems to like it there, or either in his carrier which he uses as a bed too (no door on). He is only 4, my only regret is not doing it sooner (the castration) I feel so helpless, so cruel and guilty. And as for the vet, I'm utterly disgusted at the service my cat and I have received 100% but obviously for his sake I'm trying to hold off on complaining at the minute. I guess all I can do is see how he is in the morning.. When would you say I can take him off his Metacam pain relief? He has been on it since the day after surgery so Tuesday the 13th, thank you so much for your reply

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, it's not acceptable that the vet did not let you know your cat's temperature or explain what to do regarding further treatment. I'm sorry but since we are not vets we cannot offer medical advice regarding his Metacam. However, I would suggest you look for a new vet bright and early tomorrow morning. If necessary take him to an Emergency Vet. I sincerely hope your boy receives better medical care with a new vet. Please don't wait. :alright:

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I not phone this vets in the morning and demand more answers? I mean of course I want nothing more than to help my boy but I dont have that sort of money to re register at another vets. it makes me so sad.:sigh: he was such a lovely boy before neutering makes it even more sad :sigh: what sort of questions do you recommend I ask? Obviously what was his temp,any suggestions?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Should I not phone this vets in the morning and demand more answers? I dont have that sort of money to re register at another vets.
If your cat still has a high temperature, is lethargic and, as you mentioned, won't move then you need to contact the vet. I completely understand if you don't have the finances to get a second opinion from a new vet. If you call the present vet be assertive and, yes, ask what his temperature was as well as what he suggests for the lethargy. Also ask him your question about Metacam. TCS has an Article about the pros and cons of using Metacam which may be helpful for you to read:
Metacam For Cats: The Pros And Cons Of Meloxicam For Pain Relief – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, please keep us posted on your cat's progress.

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the link. I have seen on some sites that you should give pain relief no longer than 3 days, not too sure on this but again the vet nurse didn't explain this to me. I will definitely ask about that too.

Just a little update as I've been writing this. My boy has got up from his speck, he went to the toilet and had some food also some biscuits then went outside on the landing:hearthrob: hopefully this is him improving, fingers crossed I shall update on the phone call with the vet. Thank you so much for the advice and links. Very much appreciated

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A high temp usually means infection, did they give him any antibiotics? If you're not sure, that would be another question to ask tomorrow.

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No they didnt give me any antibiotics, he just said ring him tomorrow that is literally it and sent me on my way.

Update today: woke up to half a bowl of food, so he must of got up in the middle of the night and had some food, also he has eat his breakfast too this morning and came out in the kitchen like he used to before surgery. Is this good? His ears still feel warm to touch and he is currently doing the super man on the bed :hearthrob:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is VERY good that he is eating on his own again, but keep after that vet! If he has a high fever, he should be on antibiotics!

Abb

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry I have only just found the time to come on here and update you all. So my boy is okay, he is past the worse. He is drinking, eating and using the toilet without no help now. In fact I woke up this morning to his food bowl empty and he was ontop of me begging for more puring his head off:heartshape:

Erm I do have a strange question tho 😂 so basically he has always had this teddy what you know he likes, you can guess where this is going?... well my question is when can I give him his teddy back? He is being very vocal for it and I'm not sure what's best