Male kitten mating behavior

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello so I have two sibling kittens age 5 months, I have asked the vet to get them neutered/spayed when they were 4 months old. However they refused to do it before 6 months of age. Now my internet research has proven me again and again that the best age is 4-5 supposedly. The problem is, my male kitten has started to re-enact mating on the female kitten. I have read that they mimic it, to I guess learn how to do it ? I dont know if he actually mates in the re-enactment tough. How long do I have before everything goes wrong? How can I convince my vet or are they in the right with some reason? Help is appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That would be an entire month... It would be very difficult to do. I will call the vet again and ask other vets. But is there really some proven risk?

So i just got an appointment at another vet, the date is considerably soon but still a week till then...

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes they will be neutered/spayed on the same appointment. I am trying my best but its very difficult, I do not live alone, doors will be left open from time to time again. I do have to say though he is not showcasing any other symptoms nor does he act like he has a desire. He just randomly does it during play or when she walks by (tho I dont wanna risk nothing) Also is 2kg sufficient for this appointment ?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can
Yes they will be neutered/spayed on the same appointment. I am trying my best but its very difficult, I do not live alone, doors will be left open from time to time again. I do have to say though he is not showcasing any other symptoms nor does he act like he has a desire. He just randomly does it during play or when she walks by (tho I dont wanna risk nothing) Also is 2kg sufficient for this appointment ?
be safely spayed at 8 weeks or 1kg, whichever comes first.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two kilos is 4.4 pounds. Kittens can be spayed at 8 weeks or 2 pounds, so yes, they weigh enough to be spayed and / or neutered now. They actually do quite well being fixed at a young age and it is advisable to get them fixed very young.

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with vets refusing to spay/neuter until 6 months. Some regions don't consider it humane to spay/neuter before their hormones kick in. It's annoying because some behaviours don't go away once they start 😖
But yes, you really need to separate them as best you can. My friend's cat fell pregnant at 4 months old, poor thing (It wasn't caught until it was too late either, because she didn't believe it could happen so young. It can and does, unfortunately)
Abortion is an option during spay if its caught early enough. But its really better not to risk it. Your male is "practicing" but if he gets it right just once, you could have a pregnant kitten 😔

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with vets refusing to spay/neuter until 6 months. Some regions don't consider it humane to spay/neuter before their hormones kick in. It's annoying because some behaviours don't go away once they start 😖
But yes, you really need to separate them as best you can. My friend's cat fell pregnant at 4 months old, poor thing (It wasn't caught until it was too late either, because she didn't believe it could happen so young. It can and does, unfortunately)
Abortion is an option during spay if its caught early enough. But its really better not to risk it. Your male is "practicing" but if he gets it right just once, you could have a pregnant kitten 😔
Mygod thats scary thankgod Im home till that appointment to watch them. It is very difficult to watch them at night though. How did the kitten manage the pregnancy ?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also I suppose its truly necessary as well to spay the female kitten? It might be weird but my cat (the mom) did not get into heat for 3 years until we brought it upon her. We invited a male cat and that triggered her heat, so I was wondering if the male kitten stays around fixed will it still trigger her heat? Asking out of curiosity

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mygod thats scary thankgod Im home till that appointment to watch them. It is very difficult to watch them at night though. How did the kitten manage the pregnancy ?
It really is! I'mglad you'reable to stay and watch them too. But yes it is difficult. Can you put one of them in another room like the bathroom at night? They wont like it, but itll be for tbeir own good!
And the kitten surprisingly handled the pregnancy itself well. One of my cats is the result of that litter! Next doors stud Tom got into the house through a hole in the wall when the kitchen was being renovated. But the kitten showed no signs of being in heat, and the Tom was inly in the house for 10-20 mins so no one suspected pregnancy until she was showing. She was spayed after the litter, but it stunted her growth . She is tiny compared to her siblings and parents because pregnancy and nursing kittens in such an important growth stage stole vital nutrients she needed to grow.
She was lucky, it could have been more disasterous. It's dangerous for such a small, young kitten to have kittens herself . It was sad to see ☹
Also I suppose its truly necessary as well to spay the female kitten? It might be weird but my cat (the mom) did not get into heat for 3 years until we brought it upon her. We invited a male cat and that triggered her heat, so I was wondering if the male kitten stays around fixed will it still trigger her heat? Asking out of curiosity
Yes, she must be spayed too! She will come into heat regardless of there being a male cat around or not. And when she does, she will try to escape , and they do anything to get out.
Some cats are "silent criers" which is when they don't show the typical signs of being in heat, but they are.
Also some breeds are slow developers too. At 3 I'm sure she had heat cycles already, she was probably just discreet .
Your kitty will come into heat at some point, it doesn't matter if the male is fixed. Cats in heat will even display to humans!

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It really is! I'mglad you'reable to stay and watch them too. But yes it is difficult. Can you put one of them in another room like the bathroom at night? They wont like it, but itll be for tbeir own good!
And the kitten surprisingly handled the pregnancy itself well. One of my cats is the result of that litter! Next doors stud Tom got into the house through a hole in the wall when the kitchen was being renovated. But the kitten showed no signs of being in heat, and the Tom was inly in the house for 10-20 mins so no one suspected pregnancy until she was showing. She was spayed after the litter, but it stunted her growth . She is tiny compared to her siblings and parents because pregnancy and nursing kittens in such an important growth stage stole vital nutrients she needed to grow.
She was lucky, it could have been more disasterous. It's dangerous for such a small, young kitten to have kittens herself . It was sad to see ☹

Yes, she must be spayed too! She will come into heat regardless of there being a male cat around or not. And when she does, she will try to escape , and they do anything to get out.
Some cats are "silent criers" which is when they don't show the typical signs of being in heat, but they are.
Also some breeds are slow developers too. At 3 I'm sure she had heat cycles already, she was probably just discreet .
Your kitty will come into heat at some point, it doesn't matter if the male is fixed. Cats in heat will even display to humans!
Poor kitten bless her soul
But I gotta say I thought too that she might be just discreet about her heat but when a male cat was around she showed all signs, howling, raised behind, constantly purring and just looking stressed etc. She neeever did any of that before, shes rather petite aswell I figured she was kind of late with everything. She probably wouldnt have gotten into heat if we didnt bring the tomcat tbh

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys so the castration just happened, everything went smooth apparently. The kittens will not sleep and keep licking the wounds, I stop them everytime. The smallest cone is too big, any ideas? Will a bandage help or hinder the healing process

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think a bandage is what you want, but does the vet have any thoughts? What about cutting a hole into the center of a small paper plate and fitting that over his head, and trimming as necessary?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oooh not a bad idea, I just gotta buy it somewhere. Its just they walk backwards all uncoordinated when they got smth there. I thoughr about a shirt from a doll or something gotta find it tho

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A shirt may work, or you can also try cutting the cone down to a smaller size. I never use cones and my cats have always healed well without them. Your kittens should heal quickly either way. Mine were home and playing the same day they had surgery.