Male kitten and male cat?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good evening,

We have a 1.5 year old resident male cat and he was neutered before reaching sexual maturity. Would we be able to bring in a male kitten to live with us or would it be better to bring in a female?

Thanks

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely depends on the cats. I have two boys, one was neutered late (2, maybe 3 years old) before he came to me, and I introduced another male cat (12 week old neutered kitten) when he was around 16 years old. He hissed and snarled and swiped at the kitten for a little while but I took the introduction slowly and he eventually just ignored the kitten. Once he passed, I got another male kitten when my current cat was 14 months old, this time an entire male of about 8 weeks. They absolutely loved each other from the beginning. We neutered the kitten at 4 months and they cuddle and groom each other all the time.

If both parties are neutered at a young age, I find gender matters less. I would say see if you can trial whichever pair you get and go from there, and look into how you introduce them to each other to avoid a stressful transition.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's basically still a kitten, psychologically (and physically, in some ways), so he should quickly adapt to any cat you bring in. I'd suggest trying to find a kitten perhaps just short of a year to his age.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should be fine. The issue your likely to have is that sometimes 1-2 year old cats are stupid enthusiastic about play, and it can look scary as hell when they play with a young kitten. "Looks" being the key word -- the kitten never gets hurt. Uncomfortable though, sure. Bit of squealing and running away is normal too. But the kittens typically come right back for more in a few minutes, which is how you know all is fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all. We will get the kitten in the first week of October :) as there was a litter born this past Monday. Here in Maine kittens have to be at least 56 days (8 weeks) old to go to new homes. We have not picked one yet but I will definitely give you all the details when we know more.

The details I do know are:
1. The mother is an orange tabby.
2. There are 5 kittens.
3. Two are thought to be male orange tabbies.
4. Three are thought to be female torties.
5. They are absolutely adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Getting antsy to pick one out! I think the lady we are getting one from said at 4 weeks one could be chosen. I don't remember now if she said 4 or 5 weeks old. LOL. They will be 4 weeks old on Monday.