Male cats playing too rough?

Abbeybroad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I’m sure this is a frequent question, so I apologize in advanced, we’re just first time two-cat owners!
My boyfriend and I have a 1 year old male (Whiskey) and just adopted a 4 month old male (Nox) on Monday. We did the typical “under the door” introduction, but because both of them have been around other cats frequently there was no hissing or growling, just playful paws under the door. When we let them out in the apartment together, they take right to playing (we’re like 95% sure it’s just play fighting)!
Our only concern is that Whiskey is used to playing quite rough (he grew up with a German Shepard), and there’s quite a bit of biting when they wrestle. I typically break them up when one of them meows/cries from a bite.
I have a couple video examples of them playing, and could use some reassurance that they are in fact being playful, and if breaking them up at this point is the right thing to do.
Thank you so much in advanced!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
This is normal cat play and actually fairly gentle. It can get much rougher and louder, bordering on fighting but still be play among friends. So relax and enjoy them having a good time but it it gets too noisy for you then distract them with a wand or other toy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awe thats terrific! Despite the size difference, the smaller one is really enjoying himself too. Believe me, if the brown one was trying to be mean or hurtful, it would be going very different and the little one wouldn't be instigating and coming back for more. This is basically ideal play between cats that like each other.

Cats are predators, and like all predators they play by simulating hunting and fighting behaviors including play bites. The black one was often on the back, paws extended ready to rake which is the universal cat defensive position in actual fighting and gets practiced routinely.

All good. Very good even.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbeybroad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is normal cat play and actually fairly gentle. It can get much rougher and louder, bordering on fighting but still be play among friends. So relax and enjoy them having a good time but it it gets too noisy for you then distract them with a wand or other toy.
Thank you so much for your response!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Abbeybroad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awe thats terrific! Despite the size difference, the smaller one is really enjoying himself too. Believe me, if the brown one was trying to be mean or hurtful, it would be going very different and the little one wouldn't be instigating and coming back for more. This is basically ideal play between cats that like each other.

Cats are predators, and like all predators they play by simulating hunting and fighting behaviors including play bites. The black one was often on the back, paws extended ready to rake which is the universal cat defensive position in actual fighting and gets practiced routinely.

All good. Very good even.
Amazing, thank you! They’re even starting to get better at knowing each other’s boundaries - thanks for your response!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The little, black cat is a “bottom wrestler.”. He lures the other cat in and grabs on when he goes in for the pin but it’s actually a trap.

In the second video, he’s the one that attacked first. If he didn’t want to wrestle he wouldnt have gone in for it.

They are playing. If it gets too rough, one of them will lash out and give he other what-for.

Just stand by and enjoy the ”Kitty Olympics.”

Maybe you’ve got some YouTube Gold in the making. ;)

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, that's normal. You'll know if one goes too far because one will protest very loudly, usually with hissing, and possibly run away. There's nothing to worry about unless one starts acting afraid of the other and refusing to play.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yah just keep an eye on them really. My 3 (2 brother cats almost 2 and a 10 month old kitten) play super rough together. My kitten will hiss and growl at the boys if they are playing too rough with her, and use claws.. which ticks the cat off so they at times need to separated and a wand toy comes out to burn off more energy. You just dont want hissing and growling really. Cats really are mean when they play geezzz I was not prepared for it lol. I only had one cat before I adopted two brothers, they play better with each other now but still too rough with the lil girl for my liking. But she also gives out as good as she gets lol.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Adorable! Its not the size of the cat in the fight, but the size of the fight in the cat. I'm on team Nox!!!