Male cat won’t stop peeing everywhere! HELP

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
My male cat, about 1.5 years old, has recently (within the last 2-3 months) started marking..EVERYWHERE. I just got him neutered last Friday in hopes that this would stop.

I’ve changed the location of his litter box three times. I’ve changed his litter twice. I’ve put a little dome over his box and then removed it to see if that’s help. NOTHING has.
He’s usually pretty obvious before marking because he’ll scratch at it before doing it. And when I move him into his litter box 9/10 he goes in there.
I just don’t know what to do, and I’ve spent too much money on him to get rid of him. Help please. My house smelling like cat pee is embarrassing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, and welcome!!

Below is an article that might help with the cleaning, and hopefully in another week or so he'll be more calm as the testosterone works its way out of his system. Is it possible that there's another cat in the area, either outside your house, or in another apartment that's causing him stress?

Try a calming product - you could also consider diffusers, --feliway or another brand.

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – Cat Articles

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In addition to Furballsmom Furballsmom 's excellent advice, I will only add that if you had him neutered last Friday, he's still carrying almost a full load of hormones. It takes up to six weeks for all of the testosterone to leave the body of a mature tom after surgery. Hang in there, try the above advice, and know that he will very likely settle with time!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Waiting that long to have him neutered set him up to spraying, which intact males do. It will be harder now to break him of the habit. I agree with the above, it takes a while for the hormones to leave the body. Stress makes them mark more, so try not to be angry around him. You might confine him to one room to see if that encourages him to pee in the box when you can't supervise him, or at least make clean up easier. Get a GOOD enzyme cat urine destroyer, like Nature's Miracle, to get rid of the odor. You just spray and let it set.
It took me almost a year after a move to get my boy to stop spraying but he eventually did, so DON"T give up! Get some plastic carpet protector/runner with the little nubs on the back and cut it and set it nub side up where you don't want him to go. it hurts their feet to walk on it without injuring them. It's clear and easy to move. If you can get him some kind of enclosure so he can go outside, a dog kennel, chicken coop, etc., I noticed once my boy started spraying outside (after he was neutered) he didn't spray in the house. I feel for you, I know how frustrating this can be. My thoughts are with you.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandalynnxo92

The Cat Hoarder
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank y’all so much. I’m going to try my best to contain/help his stress/anxiety. I had a suspicion that he lacked self-confidence or was anxious only because he has always been so needy since he found us last April. I mean he constantly has to be around my boyfriend and I and cries for us when we get home from work. I thought maybe something in the lines of CBD would help him since he's also VERY hyper active (could also just be due to his age). But I'm nervous about it, because I'm unsure how safe it is for animals.
I will say he has been an inside/outside cat. Mostly because he always seems to find a way to dart out the door when we're leaving/coming home from work. So I don't know if we neutered him too late or he's just used to going to the bathroom wherever when he's outside. The only weird thing about that is, he will pee SOMETIMES in the litter box but always poop in it. So that's what really lead me to believe it was marking.
The vet also gave him a full blood work-up before being neutered and he has a small amount anemia (fleas from being outside) and gave me an iron medication to give him for the month. Lixotinic I believe it's called? He loves it lol.
He's been inside the whole time he's been healing (and hating it lol) and is going to STAY inside as long as I can help it.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I love LOVE that feline parents/owners have this website to get the advice they need.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought maybe something in the lines of CBD would help him since he's also VERY hyper active (could also just be due to his age). But I'm nervous about it, because I'm unsure how safe it is for animals.
If it's legal in your state, you could talk with vendors about pet safe cbd, although there's some question as to whether budtenders would have the necessary knowledge to be able to speak to your concerns.
There are a couple websites you could look into, petpainfree or innovet or charlotte's web. Do take note that in the system, CBD could act as pathway interrupters which means that other meds may become more or less potent.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also give chamomile tea internally for anxiety. For cats, always buy the teabags from the store, because those are invariably made with German chamomile, which is medicinally active, and safe for cats. The English variety which grows in most gardens is useless, and TOXIC to cats. Brew a cup of the tea, chill it in the fridge, and administer from 1-3 teaspoonfuls (tablespoonfuls if he is over 11 pounds) up to 3 times a day. It is gently calming without being sedating. And by all means, drink a hot cup of it sweetened with honey to decompress yourself after dealing with all of this!