Male cat vomiting every day

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. My male cat sheds a lot of hair and vomits every day. His vomit looks like rest of food, no hair in it. He grooms himself normally, same as other cats. I thought maybe he lacks some vitamins and therefore loses hair and swallows it and vomits, but my husband doesn't believe that a healthy cat would vomit daily. I asked my vet in the past, but they did not have a clear response. My cat is otherwise in a good mood and happy. Should I be worried? Should I try to buy vitamins to make him shed less? Or pills to dissolve hair in his stomach? As I said however, we did not observe hair in his vomit. Please help, we are worrying about his health.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired male going though some issues related to hair balls. It sounds like he may have one stuck and needs meds or something to help him get it moving again. Hes preparing for his winter coat. Also shading is natural and good. You'll need to brush him daily if you can to cut down on the amount of hair that he swallows. Also a healthy cat doesn't vomit everyday so something is going on. Vomiting is a sign of a stuck hair ball or blockage and that needs treatment asap as it can cause lots of problems.

writingislove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat was vomiting daily and we had a full blood workup at the vet--nothing noteworthy. Turned out it was a certain kind of treats we were giving him. Once we stopped, the vomiting ceased. Thinking it may have been an allergy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’d also find a different vet. It bizarre yours isn’t concerned if you mentioned that he vomits every day.
Thanks, I will check with another one. Two different vets weren't concerned. One of them suggested it's stress and/or lack of vitamins. But I am not sure it's really normal to vomit that often.

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a long haired male going though some issues related to hair balls. It sounds like he may have one stuck and needs meds or something to help him get it moving again. Hes preparing for his winter coat. Also shading is natural and good. You'll need to brush him daily if you can to cut down on the amount of hair that he swallows. Also a healthy cat doesn't vomit everyday so something is going on. Vomiting is a sign of a stuck hair ball or blockage and that needs treatment asap as it can cause lots of problems.
Thanks a lot. I haven't heard of a stuck hairball before. How is such a thing diagnosed and treated? I saw cat pills that help dissolve hairballs in their stomach - would these help?

Natuska

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cat was vomiting daily and we had a full blood workup at the vet--nothing noteworthy. Turned out it was a certain kind of treats we were giving him. Once we stopped, the vomiting ceased. Thinking it may have been an allergy.
Thanks for sharing, I'll look into the food we give him, although we haven't changed anything recently.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot. I haven't heard of a stuck hairball before. How is such a thing diagnosed and treated? I saw cat pills that help dissolve hairballs in their stomach - would these help?
I'm not sure as it would depend on where the hairball is. If it's in the stomach then possibly but if it's farther in the digestive tract then I'm not sure.
I dont know exactly how it would be diagnosed and treated since my boy's seemed to resolve its self. Thankfully.