Male cat spraying over litter box

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remy uses the litter box without issue but he always seems to either spray or at least get pee all over whatever is behind the box. All the boxes are ones with high walls. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do to at least make cleaning up after him easier?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How old is he? Is he desexed?

If he will use a covered litter box, that may help.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natures Miracle makes a high corner litter box I had a cat with this problem you have. I keep the litter low so he can’t pee over the top. It’s pretty high. I always put wee pads underneath just in a case. You may try a covered litterbox. My other cats were too big to fit in them so I had to make due with open ones.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've seen some people suggest putting a plastic board or something behind/in the back of the box in order to provide a surface for the pee to splash/spray on and drip down into the box. Maybe even like a plastic folder? You'd have to reinforce it somehow to keep it in place, but that's an idea!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Natures Miracle makes a high corner litter box I had a cat with this problem you have. I keep the litter low so he can’t pee over the top. It’s pretty high. I always put wee pads underneath just in a case. You may try a covered litterbox. My other cats were too big to fit in them so I had to make due with open ones.
That's actually the exact litter box he frequently pees over. I've also done covered boxes, but I find they are harder to clean because there are so many crevices.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe a large plastic storage container with high sides, lid on top if needed?

1623888257327.jpeg

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like what LTS3 LTS3 shows a picture of. BUT, don't cut the hole in the side. Cut a 10" diameter round hole in the lid. It's what we had to do. Works great.