Male Cat Post Urethral Obstruction Surgery Question

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello all. on Wednesday night I had to bring my male cat into the emergency vet at 9 o’clock at night, cause I found him straining to pee in the middle of my living room and nothing was coming out. After 5 hours, and dent in my wallet, the vet put him under anesthesia and got whatever was blocking him, out. She says it was grit, and it looked best case scenario. It is now day 2 post op, he is on pain meds and an anti spasm drug to help him pee. He seems to be having a hard time peeing today. He’s going frequently, peeing about a quarter size amount each time. I also noticed that he’s licking down there a lot.

Now here’s my question!
I found a spot of pee on my kitchen floor with some blood in it. Should I be concerned? I know his penis and urethra area is probably still swollen and irritated from what happened on Wednesday. Also, could the bleeding be from him licking it? Should I put a cone on him until he’s peeing normal?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry that I have no experience with PU surgery at all. But, I have read a number of threads from members who do. I don't know if there is anything in these previous posts, but maybe??

Search Results for Query: PU surgery | TheCatSite

I know that other members who have had to deal with PU surgery will surely come along soon and offer some of their experiences; so, please be patient and check back often.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From what I understand it is a long recovery from this. I would call the vet though, reblocking does sometimes happen right after surgery. If he is still peeing small amounts he isn't blocked but I would call the vet.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They told me Tommy's bleeding would clear up, but his got worse, and he was peeing smaller and smaller amounts, and I took him back to the ER.
They cathed him again.

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They told me Tommy's bleeding would clear up, but his got worse, and he was peeing smaller and smaller amounts, and I took him back to the ER.
They cathed him again.
hello there

I’m sorry if this is late but any updates on tommy? My cat is facing the same situation now. He was also having a hard time peeing (sometimes with blood), after they cathed him for the first time and discharged him saying they are very positive he has a good outlook because he was otherwise a very healthy and young cat.

when he couldn’t pee normally after I brought him home, i brought him back in again but they said his bladder didn’t feel full and firm to touch so they did not cath him a second time. They just send us home...

I had to endure watching my cat pee badly and in pain for a few days.... then a second vet gave him some pain medication on Day 4 and my cat started peeing nicely and normally again but in small amounts each time....

Can you share with me how tommy did?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The member you are reaching out to hasn't been on this site since August - nonetheless, hopefully, they will respond. In the meantime, did you take a look at the previous posts provided earlier in this thread (see link below) to see if that might help you at all while you wait for others to respond? There are so many posts about this issue, that I know some of the more active members who are dealing, or have dealt, with this issue will see your post and respond with helpful information! Keep checking back.

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. The member you are reaching out to hasn't been on this site since August - nonetheless, hopefully, they will respond. In the meantime, did you take a look at the previous posts provided earlier in this thread (see link below) to see if that might help you at all while you wait for others to respond? There are so many posts about this issue, that I know some of the more active members who are dealing, or have dealt, with this issue will see your post and respond with helpful information! Keep checking back.

Unfortunately that thread doesn’t work for my boy as he did not do the PU surgery. Just one catherisation. I was looking for more owners that share the same experience of their cats being cathed only once.

thanks so much anyway :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately that thread doesn’t work for my boy as he did not do the PU surgery. Just one catherisation. I was looking for more owners that share the same experience of their cats being cathed only once. thanks so much anyway :)
Glad to see you started your own thread! That will help, and trust me, if you give it some time, you will receive responses!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
STOP WATCHING ME. :insertevillaugh:

I have been around with nothing to say. The site update wasn't as inviting. Instead of adjusting to the new layout, I focused on getting through the funeral, getting the kids back to school, adjusting to rehoming one of my parrots, stuff.

Fluffyfatty Fluffyfatty thanks for using the quote because it emails me
Tommy had his PU done in February 2017, and I was posting bits and pieces of where his experiences lined up with others' concerns.
They sent him home that last time when all he could pee was little spots of blood, and we took him back because he couldn't pee. This was the second ER visit in the same three day span, as well as his third blockage, and we said we can't afford to keep cathing him if they can't tell us what the causes are to avoid. The catheter further scars up his urethra, and makes his chances of this never happening again smaller, and smaller, and smaller, like his scarring urethra.

I make him my own raw food because he has so much energy that I can't keep up feeding him commercial food. His urinary issues never came back with the new urethra and the cleanest diet I can feed him. We did end up going to the ER a few weeks ago though because for the last five years his bowels have had intermittent issues, and he was vomiting every time he tried to poop. He had to get an enema. This was his second one. We give him miralax sprinkled on his food throughout the day, but that's not always the end of it. He also got subq fluids during that visit. My partner suspects that the one time I put pork in his food, that it was further irritating his intestines. Since his ER visit, I got another part time job two towns over so that I can put extra funds together to get his ultrasound and see if there is an IBD diagnosis in his future.

Fluffyfatty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Than
STOP WATCHING ME. :insertevillaugh:

I have been around with nothing to say. The site update wasn't as inviting. Instead of adjusting to the new layout, I focused on getting through the funeral, getting the kids back to school, adjusting to rehoming one of my parrots, stuff.

Fluffyfatty Fluffyfatty thanks for using the quote because it emails me
Tommy had his PU done in February 2017, and I was posting bits and pieces of where his experiences lined up with others' concerns.
They sent him home that last time when all he could pee was little spots of blood, and we took him back because he couldn't pee. This was the second ER visit in the same three day span, as well as his third blockage, and we said we can't afford to keep cathing him if they can't tell us what the causes are to avoid. The catheter further scars up his urethra, and makes his chances of this never happening again smaller, and smaller, and smaller, like his scarring urethra.

I make him my own raw food because he has so much energy that I can't keep up feeding him commercial food. His urinary issues never came back with the new urethra and the cleanest diet I can feed him. We did end up going to the ER a few weeks ago though because for the last five years his bowels have had intermittent issues, and he was vomiting every time he tried to poop. He had to get an enema. This was his second one. We give him miralax sprinkled on his food throughout the day, but that's not always the end of it. He also got subq fluids during that visit. My partner suspects that the one time I put pork in his food, that it was further irritating his intestines. Since his ER visit, I got another part time job two towns over so that I can put extra funds together to get his ultrasound and see if there is an IBD diagnosis in his future.
Thank you so much for your response I appreciate it. Seems like the difference here is tommy did get the PU surgery after all. My cat has not have the surgery at this moment and I pray, we will never ever have to get there. But if we do get there, at least I seek comfort from Tommy’s experience and fairly uneventful outcome.

The things we do for our cats ❤ You are doing great. Tommy is lucky to have you.