Male cat peeing very little but not straining. Very worried, very confused.

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a male cat (1 year and 3 months) who's lately been peeing less frequently than before. Ive had him separated from our other cats for 3 days to monitor him, his water and food intake is normal. Everytime he takes a trip to the litterbox we check his poop and his pee, but today was a little strange, his pee was around about the size of a golf ball, within the 3 days we've noticed he's been peeing only once a day. His poop is fine, but less frequent poops as well. I've taken him to the vet and they've said there was nothing wrong with him. They cleared him for dehydration as well.

But I'm still a little worried. He plays just fine, he doesn't look like he's in pain. No blood in his pee, no blood in his poop.

We changed his diet about a week and a half ago. He eats both wet and dry, wet twice a day. Has this got something to do with the change of his litterbox habits?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's peeing a reasonable amount, not making frequent trips in and out of the litter box, not straining then he's not blocked. Keep a record of the times and quantities of his pee and you could also add a couple of tablespoons of water to his wet food.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be normal for him. Yes, the change in diet could affect this for a while, but cats usually let us know when something is really wrong. They quit eating/drinking/using the litter box, and start hiding. As long as he is acting normal, I would monitor him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just peed like 20 minutes ago, and it was so little; no straining, no blood. I tried feeling for his bladder and it feels full-ish like maybe the size of a tangerine- he didn't cry or anything. Maybe I'll try take him to a different vet tomorrow to get a second opinion.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I never hesitate with a male cat who appears to have any trouble peeing. It is way better to err on the side of caution and get them to a vet while a safe diagnosis can be made and the cat can be helped. Not trying to scare you and your cat could be okay, but I would definitely get to a vet. If things go south tonight, find an ER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coteenkaph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: took my big boy to the vet and turns out he's just a little dehydrated from this weather. They prescribed him some vitamins for to take for a week. Did a CBC and no infection or UTI at all, tbh I think sometimes my boy gets a bit overdramatic.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get your cat to drink more water?

The vet told me to get him out of our air-conditioned room, cause if they are warmer, they are inclined to drink more. But I feel bad if i do since the heat here is scorching. Also, he eats wet & dry and I have like 3 water bowls placed around the room just for him, but he's a stubborn little bun who just doesn't like to drink...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update, I'm glad he's ok, what a relief for you. Add a couple of tablespoons of water to his food, mix tuna juice with water if he likes tuna, a water fountain often encourages them to drink more, put ice cubes in the water. I'm sure other members will have more ideas.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you think he would like a fountain? It is not a guarantee, as some cats don't take to them, but for those who do they are a real plus and will encourage water drinking.