male cat overly aggressive during play

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Me again!
We have 2 female cats and 1 male cat. the male and female are older (around 8yrs) and have been together their whole lives. we recently got a kitten this year. they have all adjusted amazingly after very carefully introducing them each by the recommended way... except during play.

my male cat has always gotten overly aggressive during play with our other cat, and now he's doing the same with the kitten which is making me even more nervous because she's tiny and impressionable and we can't always watch them every second. any time they are playing I have to make sure I watch them when I'm around in case things get out of hand. at night she sleeps with my brother so they are separated at night thankfully. sometimes he is nice and rolls over and gently plays with them, but with both of the females he seems to get jealous sometimes? usually after I spend time with the other cats more is when it happens, or when he has zoomies, despite me spending the most time with him bc he's in my room almost 24/7 and I have to also care for his allergies and what not.

he goes full hunting mode when things start escalating, chasing them on their tail like a bloodhound and you can visibly see how rough he's being because he is just as rough when he plays with me (I don't hand play but he still does it sometimes). he has always completely ignored their blood curling growls and hisses, and he's heavier than they are so he's often on top which makes it worse. he tends to resist and continue to pursuit even when I try to separate them or even have to make a loud noise to snap him out of it. then he walks off with his tail high in the air like he's proud! I always get so panicked and disturbed when this happens. all I can do is break them up, give him a timeout from my room, and talk sternly to him, but even then he seems happy with what he's done unless I really drill him with my angry talk!

-------------- below is just extra about what happened today

this morning he trapped the kitten into a corner, was on top of her attacking her while she was growling and hissing and struggling. this happened right after I was playing with her, went to the bathroom real quick, and she was hanging out by the door waiting for me when I hear her get hit into the door and start growling and hissing. she NEVER cries that bad when playing with my other cat (who plays normally and healthily with her, they both understand hissing means stop) I immediately knew it was my male cat so I had to cut bathroom break short and chase them to the living room where he was hounding the poor tiny thing as she was crying like hell! 😭 when i got them apart he had chunks of fur on his mouth and she was licking herself and flicking her paw like crazy (I checked her for scratches). she was visibly upset and wouldn't even come to me, and my other cat was horrified and went to go check on her as well, sniff her and clean her and whatnot. I was so angry and just terrified i admit I lost my temper, i pushed his butt along with my foot so he'd move away from the scared thing, along with some water splashes and a light cuff on his ear. I gave him a long scolding, then locked him out of my room where he was headed with his tail high. i really wanted to show him I was upset with his behavior because he was still acting all proud and happy and lingering around her.

I try to play with him to get his energy out but he barely wants to play other than play fighting and spends most of the time in my room or following me around when I leave my room. I genuinely think he's a little iffy in the head or wasnt socialized well at the shelter because he's always been like this no matter how many times I separate them when fights escalate and tell him things like "No playing rough, be nice!". I don't like losing my temper and resorting to water splashes or even just scolding when it happens, but what else can I do when he seems to go deaf to growling and hissing and obvious pain even with us? hes usually very sweet and gentle but when this happens it's like a switch just flips. he doesn't growl or hiss at ALL during playfights even when he's upset which makes me think he's either mentally/socially messed up/underdeveloped or he's just so focused on hunting that he doesn't realize it's his playmate! he appears to get jealous but never wants to play, then takes his anger out on the cat who was getting attention.

sorry for the long post, I'm so frustrated and still upset with even myself for losing my temper but I'm so worried about the kitten and even still our adult cat getting hurt because this isn't the first time and nothing I do- being calm/nice nor scolding- has worked

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's what cats do.... try NOT to get angry for something that is natural. I know it SEEMS horrifying, but as long as there is no blood or deep bites all is normal. Mine does the same thing, I got a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it (slide it across the floor into him)It distracts him. I yell no loudly and sometimes that works, but the kickeroo really gets his attention. I have tried for years to change his behavior, and he just doesn't get it., so I changed MY attitude. Females scream loudly anyway, they are the 'manners teachers' and don't like to be bothered or feel out of control. If he really wanted to hurt them he could most likely take big chunks out of them or kill them. So it is just rough play. I don't tolerate it, that is why I got the kickeroo to distract him, and I still yell NO loudly which SOMETIMES stops him, but I gave up on permanent change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's what cats do.... try NOT to get angry for something that is natural. I know it SEEMS horrifying, but as long as there is no blood or deep bites all is normal. Mine does the same thing, I got a kickeroo on Amazon and throw it (slide it across the floor into him)It distracts him. I yell no loudly and sometimes that works, but the kickeroo really gets his attention. I have tried for years to change his behavior, and he just doesn't get it., so I changed MY attitude. Females scream loudly anyway, they are the 'manners teachers' and don't like to be bothered or feel out of control. If he really wanted to hurt them he could most likely take big chunks out of them or kill them. So it is just rough play. I don't tolerate it, that is why I got the kickeroo to distract him, and I still yell NO loudly which SOMETIMES stops him, but I gave up on permanent change.
Hi, are you sure? I've always read that overly rough play like this isn't good and it means they don't know how to NOT get out of hand, likely from not being socialized well. Hissing and growling, especially when its really bad, should be an indicator to the other cat to stop as you said, but he is an adult and still doesn't understand this yet. Even playing with us there is a distinct difference in roughness between him and my other 2. They understand when I'm hurt/say no and stop, he just bites and claws harder. My other 2 cats play just fine and never that aggressive to where they're scared, deeply angry, or in pain and hurt. Again he is very visibly being way too rough and aggressive, especially with her still being a smaller kitten and continues to hurt her along with my other cat, I don't think its normal at all. Play should never be overly aggressive, and I've seen myself what healthy and safe play is. My adult female even became so upset and fearful around him sometimes that she would avoid him, and oftentimes my room where she used to come because he camps in it now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope there is someone on this site that has cured a cat of rough play, I would very much like to stop my cat too. He is a perfect gentleman around us, and for the most part nice to the others. But the pitiful crying when he holds them down is distressing. Distraction and bumping him with a kickeroo or slipper is the only thing that stops him. Or when we get up. I hope someone can help....I can understand that a kitten might be in actual danger of being hurt. Usually, the way to tell if a kitten/cat us truly being hurt is that they leave when the attacker gets near, they don't want a thing to do with them. My cats do not leave and once in a while initiate play! They also sleep together, so go figure....

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah same here, thanks though. Sometimes he plays nice and they all "make up" eventually after being upset by aggressive play. For now I'll just keep doing the same like you are with distractions and breaking up the fight 👍

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i had to deal with that at my dads house at most all you really can do is recognize(you can tell by his body posturelike a school yard bully swagger your other cats can tell to and will growl or try to get away) soon as he begins his stalk or attempt at rough play on the other catsgrab him soon as he makes his move lock him in your bedroom for a few then let him out and play with him etc. takes a while but he can learn to play nice or atleast not harrass or beat up on the other cats but just cause he learns to behave when your around all bets are off when nobody is there used to get so mad at my dad when he would leave and not seperate the cats and i get home from work to find clumps of hair all over the floor and the lil cat treed someplace high on a shelf someplace shaking and all pissed off

Jaylin A

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i had to deal with that at my dads house at most all you really can do is recognize(you can tell by his body posturelike a school yard bully swagger your other cats can tell to and will growl or try to get away) soon as he begins his stalk or attempt at rough play on the other catsgrab him soon as he makes his move lock him in your bedroom for a few then let him out and play with him etc. takes a while but he can learn to play nice or atleast not harrass or beat up on the other cats but just cause he learns to behave when your around all bets are off when nobody is there used to get so mad at my dad when he would leave and not seperate the cats and i get home from work to find clumps of hair all over the floor and the lil cat treed someplace high on a shelf someplace shaking and all pissed off
yeah I figured, and I'm glad I'm not the only one handling this, I'll continue to do my best breaking them up when it escalates as I have been