Male Cat Occasionally Urinating Anywhere

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may have posted this before. If so, sorry but its getting worse now. My almost 2 year old male has a bad habit of urinating anywhere he thinks he can. He does use a litter box and its kept clean. He has no eyes and does not go outside at all. He uses the litter box to defecate and often uses it to urinate. But once in a while he doesn't. Each time he defecates I remove it. Otherwise I change box on a regular basis. I changed it 2 days ago and he has not used it. I use the same litter as always. But he has urinated somewhere and I don't know where. I can smell it faintly.
He is a rescue cat and nobody can say if he has been neutered. There apparently is nothing to take out. I have had 3 vets examine him and they all say the same. One proposed an ultrasound but could not guarantee it would show anything. Another suggested exploratory surgery - nope! He has had urinalysis and everything is fine. He eats moist food with about a cup of dry over 4 days.
If he does it on a bed I wash with vinegar and it works. But doing it on the carpet is not that easy to put in the washer. I did some research on the topic and one product "Skouts Honor" hasd very good reviews, many claiming its the best ever. I bought a bottle and frankly I don't agree. Maybe its something I am doing wrong. Most research says that I should use enzymes but this product does not have them. If anybody has a sure-fire solution please let me know.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you think it could be that he has trouble finding the litterbox? Have you tried Cat Attract Litter?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you notice that he most often avoids the litter box after you've completely changed the litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No he has no trouble finding the litter box at all. He just used now to defecate. He does use it to urinate but he occasionally goes elsewhere. I had considered him avoiding the box after changing the litter. He has done that before but I understand what you mean. I have a spare box and I will fill it now and see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

its tom the cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After writing this he urinated in the litter box. Maybe its the fresh litter. I tried that Skouts Honor with no success. I spoke to the company and they offered some advice. Tried it to no avail. I have a fabric covered piano bench and that was his one of his targets. I did 4 applications of Skouts Honor and it was not much better. But I had to bring the bench back so I could play the piano.
Last night while I was dozing in front of the TV I heard scratching. Caught him just as he finished urinating on the bench. Obviously he must have smelled it and whizzed. Very frustrating. I have had better success with vinegar than Skouts Honor.