Male Cat nips and pounces at housemates

adieu939

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I recently adopted a 4 year old male cat from a shelter. He was originally a stray cat, and I was told he had been a really chilled out cat at the shelter. Since bringing him home he's been really energetic to the point of lashing out at my housemates, which is usually jumping and clawing at legs, or unprovoked biting. He's been really receptive to training (i.e not jumping on counters, coming over when called), and I've been spending time morning and evening everyday to play with him so he can use up all of his energy. But he still lashes out when my housemates go near him a lot of the time. I'm not sure what else I can do, but I am concerned for my cat because one of my housemates became visibly upset by his behaviour today. I've only had him just under 3 weeks and I know these things take time, but I was hoping I could get some advice.

Thanks

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It would be helpful if we could see some video because I suspect he may be trying to start play with them. If he isn’t hissing or growling when he jumps at them then it’s play, although maybe unappreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adieu939

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be helpful if we could see some video because I suspect he may be trying to start play with them. If he isn’t hissing or growling when he jumps at them then it’s play, although maybe unappreciated.
He's not a very vocal cat, but I haven't seen him growl or hiss at them. I have witnessed it in person, but a lot of time he does this when I'm at work (I'm still considered essential and they WFH), and I hear about it when I come home. I thought it was probably play, which is why I try to tire him out before leaving so he doesn't actively seek my housemates attention with this kind of behaviour. Is there anything else I could be doing to get him to stop?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I misread your post and thought he was trying to play with another cat, not a person. Your guy is still adjusting to your home and may be lashing out at your housemates because he is still fearful. The first thing that should happen is that you ask your housemates not to go near the cat and to otherwise ignore him. If he is not feeling threatened by them he may stop. I would also have them be the ones, if they are willing, to set out his food and put a treat down for him from a distance so that he starts to see them as a source of something good.