Male cat neutered

Onyx88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 month old male cat has been neutered on Friday, he came home with a cone but he took it off within one hour and would not keep it on no matter what🙈 I have noticed a bit of blood at his incision, attached a photo (hope that's ok) I called the vets and they said it should be fine but I am being paranoid and just worrying as not sure how it should look normally. Does anyone know if this is normal? He is eating normal, he's extremely playful and full of energy, jumping, running around constantly, literally cannot stop him (closed him in a room for a bit trying to keep him from jumping, but he got so stressed, scratching at the door and lifting up the carpet so we let him out). Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks good so far. Just keep monitoring the site and call the vet if it looks angry red or weepy or swollen. A little blood seepage is OK for the first couple days (you might see a blood smudge where he sits) but if it's enough to drip, that's too much, call the vet. A scab is normal too.

Neuters are pretty minor as far as surgery goes so he doesn't really have to stay calm or anything like that. The main thing to look for is post-op infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Onyx88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, I can't see any blood where he sits but I will keep an eye on him.
The vets said he shouldn't run around or jump for at least 7 days but that's impossible, just hoping he heals soon so I can stop worrying.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks fine to me as well my boy was running around like nothing had happened it was impossible to keep him quiet.

Onyx88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's exactly the same, only time he's calm is when he's sleeping

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That really looks fine. W Willowy gave you exactly the right things to watch for. I know how hard it is to keep a cat quiet. And how worrying it can be. Remember...ferals who are TNR'd are almost always returned to their home colonies the very same day as their surgeries, or early the next morning, without cones, and without any possible restrictions, and almost all of them do just fine. Try, but don't make yourself crazy over it.

Onyx88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's true, I think I'm overthinking everything and slowly driving myself crazy (he's our first kitten🙈) and after every jump he makes on the table or something high I go check him to make sure he's ok haha but he doesn't seem to care at all, just being himself as usual.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Truth is, you'd worry just as much if he was your fifteenth kitten. We just do. That's what makes having a support group like this invaluable! You KNOW you are not alone in it.