Male cat mounting on the other male cat So Frustrated!!

nappykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Arrrggh!!

I have two male cats, one 12 and one 8 years old. They've been together for about ~5 years and gets along relatively well. They groom each other constantly, sleep together, etc. They've been neutered when they were young. 

Recently, my older cat have been constantly mounting my younger one and biting the younger cat's neck. The younger cat doesn't do anything but when the older one bites for too long (this goes on for minutes), he growls, hisses, and eventually swats him off. The older one doesn't hump or anything, just mounts on top of him and just bites the younger one. 

I looked this mounting issue off and realized it was a dominance issue...but the problem is that the younger one was what I always considered to be 'alpha'. Ever since I have gotten them (three years ago), the younger one always ate first, groomed the older one, and every time they are in a fight the younger one always wins. The younger would always be on top of the older one in a play fight (just laying across the older one). The older one doesn't eat until the younger one eats...etc.

Now the older one eats whenever it's time to eat (both eat at the same time), when they start fighting I'm not quite sure who wins, and the older one constantly mounts the younger cat.

This started about 6mo. ago or so. It's getting very frequent. I wasn't really worried about it 6 months ago but now the older one mounts my younger one way too much.The only thing that has changed in my life is that my boyfriend started to live with me at my house. Both of the cats are used to him by now.

When I'm at home the older one CONSTANTLY mounts on the younger one! Sometimes he doesn't do it (1 out of 7 days), but when he does, it's up to 3-4 times a day! When my boy friend is at home by himself, the cats do not fight at all! They don't fight, no hissing, no meowing, the older one doesn't mount the younger one, they just sleep...etc. 

WHATS GOING ON?? 

The younger one doesn't look 'bullied' or anything, he walks around and sleeps around, eats fine and gets the same amount of attention he got before. The older one is acting the same as usual but a little bit more active than usual (walking around, running around, jumping on stuff) but he just constantly mounts my younger one. ):

It usually plays out like this:

-Younger one is chilling on the floor.

-Older one stares at him for a bit, then starts meowing. Not a complete meow, just "mrrr" type of meow, nothing threatening. Sounds like the type of meow he gives me when I pet him or wake him up when he's sleeping. Like a cat start-up noise. He's very vocal, so it's not like he only meows when he's about to mount my younger one. 

-Older one "mrr"'s a couple of times, as he's walking toward the younger one. Suddenly, one final "MRREOw" and he pounces on the younger one, bites his neck, and mounts him.

- Younger one stays silent for a while

- Older one is fixed in that position

- Younger one growls, then finally hisses. Turns around and swats the older one, older one jumps back, runs off, and stares at him again. 

I've tried to pull him away before, sprayed water, yelled...but it's not stopping? What's going on? Why is he suddenly doing this?

misstufts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is happening is the older male feels that he can be the alpha, and is trying to take the younger one's place. Multi cat households experience this every once in a while. But to me it doesn't seem either is submissive, which is causing an 'argument' basically. The older male feels he needs to be alpha while the younger doesn't want to step down. As long as they aren't getting too rough I wouldn't pay much attention to it. They should eventually settle it on their own. But because they're two males, it's more likely this may become a habit every once in a while.
And scolding and spraying him is no way to deal with this, they don't understand that their behavior is wrong, they're just being two healthy male cats!