Male cat licking genitals - continues after being cleared by Vet

DilapidatedJack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got 2 young male cats (littermates) and one developed idiopathic cystitis. Of course, we were made aware of the diagnosis via a trip to the vet and several follow up visits until he was finally given a clean bill of health. The problem is he is STILL constantly licking his genitals. Since he was given a clean bill of health, I do not understand what is causing this. He nor his brother are fixed as of yet but they have appointments to do so in October. They're just over a year old. Does anyone have any idea what is causing his constant licking? He also hunches any and everything possible, I just chalked this up to hormones as I had another male cat (that wasn't fixed) that did this too. I'm wondering if he is actually causing his problem by the constant licking, his penis is sore so he licks more, etc.
Has anyone else had this problem? How/what did you do to help him? Skitz, on top is the one with the issue.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're right. It may be that if you put him in a cone for a day or three, it will give his poor bits a chance to become less irritated.

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he is not altered yet, hr is acting normally by hunching everything. He is just trying to make babies. Some males will do this even after being altered. I have seen it many times.

As for licking genitals, I would not be concerned if he was given a clean bill, as long as his penis does not appear inflamed, etc. I have 2 male littermates who are about 6 years old. They were altered at about 2 1/2 months. One of them still .licks his penis often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DilapidatedJack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you to those who answered. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I should be watching for that I wasn't. I think he's just a normal male cat who may have a slightly irritated penis, of his own doing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're right. Just keep an eye on him, and make sure that he's able to urinate without straining.