Male Cat Humping Furry Throw

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy will be 3 years old next month. When I first got him, he was neutered and it was confirmed by the vet. When I first got him I noticed that he would tried to hump his sister that lasted all of two weeks and I haven't had an issue since then.

Well in the last two weeks, I noticed that he was humping, almost daily, my furry throws, his cat tree - basically anything with fur on it - with the exception of his sister.

I'm concern because I'm not sure if this is behavioral or medical.

Please advise.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a neuter male cat get excited and spray on rugs once in a while. I use to believe that once neutered this unwanted behavior would stop, so I was shocked when this happened. The reason mating cat behavior happens in neutered males are usually from what I read are because the following reasons:
  • Having a kitty "fixed" at an older age can cause this behavior.
  • Sexually pleasure. (Yes, even a recently neutered cat can behave this way till his hormones settle).
  • Some cats that hump are insecure or need extra affection.
  • Trauma or surgery can cause humping.
  • If your cat is bored, frustrated, or feeling too confined.
  • Changes in the household, such as new members (pets or humans) can cause this behavior.
  • Some cats hump to be more "alpha" or dominant.
First find the root cause of why your cat behaves this way. Some things you can do is redirect this behavior through play, giving him more attention, help him feel more secure in his environment, and possibly use a pheromone spray if this humping is anxiety-related. Best of luck to you.🙂

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some neutered male cats just like to get happy :lol: Redirect your cat to something appropriate to get happy on, such as his own furry throw or stuffed toy.

Usually a sudden behavior change is caused by something. Has anything changed in the home in the last two weeks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 no changes in the home. I have toys that keeps him engaged. As long as nothing is wrong with him. I'll give me a stuff animal.

Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal for some males to do this. I had a few that did this daily 'humping' but MANY more that didn't. There is little you can do to change the behavior. If it makes you feel uncomfortable, do like I did and put his furry 'friend' someplace where you can't observe him. He is an animal after all and really doesn't know that this is something that bothers humans. He is just doing what comes naturally. Take comfort in the fact that they usually won't do it in front of company.