Male cat being sick after neutering

Natalie14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
My male cat (1yr 3mths old) was neutered on Tuesday 17th and this morning I’ve noticed that inside his cone (to stop him from licking) it’s covered in sick. His cat biscuits have been eaten and he’s been drinking his water. His wound looks fine no oozing or anything. Do I need to call my vet?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My very personal opinion - phone your vet to check in case there were complications and important reasons for him still wearing a cone.
The sickness can be due to the anaesthetic used or the fact that he was eating too soon after the operation. Neither of these are serious conditions and will clear up on their own. Or, it may simply be stress caused by trying to eat and drink with a cone. Cats do not like cones.
I have had cats and fostered cats for over fifty years and have never had to put a cone on a freshly neutered male. (I believe it is just another way to make more money - sell you something on top of the operation fees.) Of course, for a more serious operation a cone has its uses and can be an important aid to recovery - if the cat will tolerate one.

Try not to worry too much. I expect, as soon as the cone is removed, his sickness will clear up. He probably just needs a few days to get over his visit to the vet but, if you are worried, phone the vet just in case there are other factors involved.

Good luck to you and your cat! ♥

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalie14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My very personal opinion - phone your vet to check in case there were complications and important reasons for him still wearing a cone.
The sickness can be due to the anaesthetic used or the fact that he was eating too soon after the operation. Neither of these are serious conditions and will clear up on their own. Or, it may simply be stress caused by trying to eat and drink with a cone. Cats do not like cones.
I have had cats and fostered cats for over fifty years and have never had to put a cone on a freshly neutered male. (I believe it is just another way to make more money - sell you something on top of the operation fees.) Of course, for a more serious operation a cone has its uses and can be an important aid to recovery - if the cat will tolerate one.

Try not to worry too much. I expect, as soon as the cone is removed, his sickness will clear up. He probably just needs a few days to get over his visit to the vet but, if you are worried, phone the vet just in case there are other factors involved.

Good luck to you and your cat! ♥
Should I remove the cone? He absolutely hates it. They told me to keep it on for 4 days so he doesn’t lick the wound. This is my first ever cat so I don’t have a lot of experience. He’s had something to eat this morning and he hasn’t been sick yet, he’s drinking fine and he’s been in his litter box.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It very well could be the cone stressing him out. I have never used a cone either and have had many cats neutered. He may lick it for a few minutes to clean it and then quit. All my outside cast were released the same day they were neutered.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take the cone off! Watch him in case he starts licking the wound excessively - cats lick their backsides all the time, so don't panic! I'm sure he'll be OK. I've not used cones for a cat after a tail-amputation, bladder and cyst operations - sometimes they are more trouble than they are worth. Some cats are more compliant - allowing me to take the cone off for eating, or making it easier for them to feed their kittens and then to put it back on again to prevent them damaging themselves or kitten-damage. I know it's a worrying time - but we've all been there!

Natalie14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I removed Mog’s cone earlier this afternoon and he perked up instantly. However I’ve noticed that his neck is bleeding, not sure if he had a sore there before and the cone has dug into it. Do I take him to the vet? I don’t want it to get infected.

Attachments

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it looks as though he has scratched himself trying to remove the cone or the cone dug into his skin. You can clean up the wound with warm water and see whether it dries up over night. If of course it seems no better in the morning contact the vet. Poor little boy!

Natalie14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To me it looks as though he has scratched himself trying to remove the cone or the cone dug into his skin. You can clean up the wound with warm water and see whether it dries up over night. If of course it seems no better in the morning contact the vet. Poor little boy!
Thank you. He’s just been to the vet as it was a lot worse this morning when I checked him. He’s got some antibiotics and I’ve got to clean it with warm salt water. Thank you for your help.