Male Calico

wdickson12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I recently learned that tri color coats in cats can indicate that they are calico. I also learned that male calicos are exception rare, but unfortunately also prone to health problems. This concerned me as my cat Mr. Jinx is a male with a 3 colored coat. He is predominantly gray and white but has some tan pt he’s around his eyes and legs. I am wondering if this means he is calico or if it is common for cats to have patches of tan.
I very much love my cat so the news that male calicos are prone to health problems and have shortened lifespans was very concerning. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
Male calico (or tricolor) cats are exceptionally rare! While some of them may have health issues, not all of them do. Your vet may be able to provide you with additional information and examine him more closely to see if he thinks there is an issue.

The genetics behind calico cats can provide you with some insight as to what might be going on. The gene for orange fur is on the X chromosome; female cats have two X chromosomes, and males typically have one X and one Y chromosome. If a female cat has one X that has the allele for producing orange, and the other X that has the allele that doesn't produce orange, she will be a tortoiseshell cat. If she also has the white spotting gene, she will be a calico.

So, how do male calico cats exist? Typically, male calico cats have an extra X chromosome, making them XXY. Sometimes, this second X chromosome can cause issues, but not always. Another possibility is that the cat is a chimera, meaning two embryos combined or shared cells while developing in the womb. Chimeras are usually very unusual looking and may have any number of "impossible" color combinations. Many chimera cats live perfectly normal lives, but some of them have some irregularities.

As for your boy, I can't tell from the photos if he is a male calico at all! Could you post some shots from the side or back? All of the "tan" areas on him seem to be symmetrical (other than the areas covered in white), which would be very unusual for a calico. My thought is that he might be a odd colored tabby, as he has the typical tabby M above his eyes. Some tabbies have paler areas around their face, undersides, and legs. His just seem to be very distinct and bold compared to most other tabbies. I'd love to see some more photos of him, though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wdickson12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for this explanation!
I was not aware of this phenomena. I am glad to hear however that he appears to be a tabby. That was my initial suspicion but I am not versed in cat breeds whatsoever. The tri color distinction was just alarming. I will most certainly attach more photos!

Attachments

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a tabby and white (and a gorgeous boy). If he was calico or torbie (tortoiseshell-tabby, also called patched tabby) he’d have distinctly orange patches among the black - like my late Maddie, whose tabby was mackerel rather than classic.

Attachments

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think he is a calico. I can’t be sure of course. He looks more like a dilute classic tabby to me. It is hard to tell because of the light in the photos if he is a blue /dilute which would explain why he has some patches of cream. It’s not unusual for brown tabbies to have rusty red areas as well but they are not really tricolor. Also he has the white spotting and is really a bicolor tuxedo tabby. What a cutie 😻

My Merlin is a ginger tux tabby. I used to think he has a mackerel pattern, but it’s kind of hard to tell because he has very thick fur, and I’ve been noticing some spots on him too. So I’m wondering if he is really a spotted tabby, or a broken mackerel.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree he is prob just tabby; and tabby fur has often nuances of color; which can be easily taken for red... This especially with brown / black tabbies, but also blue tabbes have of course nuances....
Anyways, I dont see the typical revealing streaks of red color - often on the head...

IF he has creme areas, so perhaps on the inside of back legs... So maybe he is a tortie / torbie after all. But this is not apparent.

IF its important for you to know, there are genetic tests, not very costly. This done by Davies veterinary university has best reputation.

These are usually used to see if there is some ancestry to an established breed; but I suppose they can also be used to see exactly what colors a can carry...