male aggression?

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Caspian is 10 months old and neutered. Ever since I had him he has always been on the more aggressive side, but I always thought that it was a kitten thing he would get out of. But he is almost a year old and he is worse than he ever has been. he bits constantly. He draws blood nearly every time he bits. He leaves welts and I have more than a few scars from him.it's like he has no tolerance at all for anybody or anything.the only person he seems to trust is me, and he only acts nice to me when he chooses.he even hates my friend so much that he jumps up to where she is sitting just to hiss at her then jump back down. He constantly chases around my parents dog trying to jump on him. When he gets a hold of him he wraps around the dog with his arms and latches onto his neck.

I've never treated him badly and I have never seen anyone treat him badly.the most I have seen is someone yell to try to get him to stop biting them or push him down to get him to stop. I have turned to using the water bottle even though I am against it. It was the most unconfrontational way to get him to stop biting or chasing the dog.

Sorry for how long it is really wanted to show just how bad his aggression is. I love Cas with all my heart but I don't know how to live with a cat that is so terribly mean. I know I could live cause I love him, but m worried about the people im around ( I'm always around children). Please try to help with this. Maybe you have some methods I could try or maybe you might have a theory on why he is this way?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, so sorry your having this issue.

What kind of play is he getting? All play should be with appropriate toys. Hands should not used. I would offer him increased play sessions, wearing him out more. Make him play vigorously. He's still a kitten and needs his energy burned.

Petting can often cause a cat to become over stimulated which can lead to a bite. You have to train him that biting is not allowed. Yelling at him won't work. If he does this when on your lap, you put him down with a strong voiced "no" EVERY time. Use toys, such as wand toys, to redirect him to what is appropriate to wrestle and bite. Look for signs of overstimulation with petting and stop petting BEFORE he gets agitated. His tail twitching is the first thing you will see. Pet him only around his face and not down his back for long periods.

Is he declawed?  This is often why cats bite as it is their only defense now.

Does he have elevated spaces he can escape to? Giving him places he can be up high will increase his confidence and give him places he can go to to get away from people and the dog. He'll be less likely to attack if he feels safe up high.

I would also try a few feliway diffusers around the house. These have been shown to help calm cats.

Hope some of this helps. Others may have more ideas. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello and thanks for your answer.

For his play we never use hands and most the time I use a laser to get him to run p and down the house. But I'm definitely going to take a trip to the store to get him some ore toys to try to wear him out.

And your point on petting was very interesting. I never realized petting could cause that. That was something I had trouble with. He would be purring in my lap then decide he wanted to bite instead. So I think that's one problem that may be solved.

He is not declawed. And he does have a high space he can get to but that has never stopped him from going after the dog. I don't think that will ever be fixed. The dog is so scared of Cas he's really jitterish and nervous so I think that brings out his prey instincts (also considering the dog only weighs 3pounds)

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm he sounds pretty aggressive...i'm sorry to hear that, and how he's always attacking your little doggy. 

Here are some links to aggression in cats that helped me when I got Charlie (my first ever cat)

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/aggression-cats

http://www.perfectpaws.com/agg.html

http://www.2ndchance.info/aggressivecat.htm

They were very helpful to me, and if you take the time to go through it, it will help you too. You can definitely modify his behavior and with time and patience, make your cat behave friendlier towards others. 

Do you have a crate or a cat carrier for your cat? Sometimes when Charlie plays with me, or my other kitten, he gets a bit too aggressive. Scratching and biting. I put him in his crate for a few mins and he calms down. Maybe you should try the same with your kitty. it REALLY helps. When i put charlie in he's fighting me tooth and nail, and after a few mins when i let him out, he's calm and collected and in cuddle mode. 

and you definitely need more toys for your kitty than a laser pointer. My cats love the little mice. You should get a couple (usually very cheap comes with cat nip in them, and like 3-4 in a pack). It might even help your cat to stop attacking your dog. Even tho these mice are not real, the cats play with them as if they are and it might really help you. They really cater to  a cat's predatory instincts. 

Here's a link to the mice:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11538029&lmdn=Cat&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

You can find similar ones for even cheaper, you just have to look around at the store.

I hope this helps you. Good luck with your little guy. Be patient and don't give up =)