Making Sure My Recipe Is Balanced

Binxandlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys. I posted here a couple days ago asking about using grocery store ground meat vs hare today, and ultimately I decided buying meat from hare today was safer and more affordable. I have bought 10 pounds of raw ground turkey thigh to use in my following recipe.

My question now is whether or not this diet is balanced, or if I need to add additional supplements.

The recipe I used calls for:

1.5 pounds muscle meat (ground turkey thigh)
1/2 cup liver (I used organic chicken liver)
1 cup heart (I could not find heart and did not think to buy hearts from HT, but will do so in the future)
2 raw organic egg yolks (the eggs I had were quite small, so I used 3)
2 tablespoons edible bone meal
4000mg taurine (the recipe calls for 2000mg, but I doubled to make up for the lack of heart)
2000mg salmon oil
400iu vitamin E
1/2 teaspoon lite iodized salt
1 tablespoon psyllium husk (optional, I know, but I added a small amount for fiber)

Now, the recipe states not to add vitamin B complex because adequate amounts are in both the egg yolk and liver. This kinda concerned me, but I trusted the recipe and did not add vitamin B.

Does this seem okay? Almost all other recipes I have found call for vitamin B complex and I want to make sure my cats are not deficient in any nutrients. I have researched nutrient contents in all of my raw ingredients and I did find that they contain B vitamins, but I'm still worried that they're getting enough. I do also feed them both chicken gizzards, along with a chicken heart each if I can find them in the packages I buy from the grocery store.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks pretty good but, I wonder if you are slightly over supplementing for 1.5 lbs? Once you are able to include heart , which is a muscle meat I think the recipe is fine. As far as the Vitamin A? that is the same amount that I use for 5 lbs of meat. I also wonder about leaving out the vitamin B. I have never seen a recipe that didn't include it.
I am interested in what other people have to say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Binxandlily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks pretty good but, I wonder if you are slightly over supplementing for 1.5 lbs? Once you are able to include heart , which is a muscle meat I think the recipe is fine. As far as the Vitamin A? that is the same amount that I use for 5 lbs of meat. I also wonder about leaving out the vitamin B. I have never seen a recipe that didn't include it.
I am interested in what other people have to say.
I did worry too about over supplementing vitamin A because I know it can be toxic in large amounts. From what I could find though, 100g of liver per cat per week is the limit, and any amount higher is when toxicity is a concern. 1/2 cup is equal to about 100g from what I've found, and I'm splitting the food among two cats, so I do think I'm safe in that aspect. But I'm still new to this so I could be wrong.

I'm also very interested in others input. I have no problem picking up some vitamin B complex for them if it's what they need. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you post a link to the site where you found the recipe?

I haven't seen recipes which mix weights of meat (pounds and ounces) and volumes of meat (cups). The mixes I use all calculate an 80/10/10 ratio based on the weight of each ingredient. I'm unsure how much 1 cup of hearts actually weighs, so I'm not much help analyzing this recipe. I would like to see if the recipe source (website) looks "qualified" to be writing cat food recipes.

The supplements do look like a lot for 1.5 pounds of meat plus "1 cup of hearts and 1/2 cup of liver". I would include B Vitamins to be on the safe side. B's are water-soluble, so any excess get pee'd out. Freezing/thawing the meat will degrade some of the natural B-Vitamins.