Making Progress

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,
I've posted a lot in other places about my cats, Coffee (F, 2) and Maui (F, 3.5) and their LONG integration process (~7 months) and just had to share this milestone moment from the other day.

Background info:
Coffee, resident kitty, had since 6 months old (almost 2 years now). My beautiful angel baby who I am absolutely obsessed with. Shy and timid around new people and situations, not an alpha cat, thinks that a feeble hiss constitutes sticking up for herself. FLUTD+ so we are no strangers to finding cat pee on various soft surfaces (including mid-way through the day on the sweater I've already been wearing for 4 hours).

IMG_0542.JPG

Maui, new kitty, had since August. Background unknown other than that she was returned to the shelter after adoption several times, for various reasons, after being rescued from an undesirable situation. We were told at the shelter she was reserved, VERY shy and "not a lap cat" (which is actually one of the reasons she was returned before, despite being warned of this - smh. Apparently someone adopted her because she was "pretty," but then returned her for not being cuddly enough. I could rant all day about this but I will not). Regardless, this could not be more from the truth. She is SO CUDDLY and people oriented, loves being around us, and actually gets anxiety being alone for too long, which sometimes results in some inappropriate urination (yet another reason she was returned before - adopting a high stress cat and then being upset when it pees on something is yet another thing I could rant about but I will refrain).

IMG_0758.jpg

ANYWAYS. It has been along introduction process. We thought we would have two shy kitties that would mostly leave each other alone, but we've ended up with one high-stress, very timid kitty whose space has been invaded by a bit of an obnoxious bully. We did the typical cat intro process and it's been a long time coming, and there's still a long way to go. Usually, when both are out, Coffee spends most of her time on her little perch that Maui is respectful enough to not go near. Everywhere else, Maui thinks of Coffee as "prey" and tries to chase her when she ventures down, which results in Coffee retreating to her perch and hiding again. It's very sad to see and has been quite disheartening.

However, the other day when I was downstairs making breakfast, Maui was looking out the window in the dining room and I heard this tiny little meow coming from the floor on the other side of the counter. I knew it wasn't a Maui meow so I went over, and sure enough, Coffee was downstairs (!) on the floor (!) next to Maui (!!!). I couldn't believe it. I thought maybe Coffee didn't know that Maui was there, and was about to get pounced on so I got pretty nervous. But as I was standing there she let out another little meow (her cue that she wants to go into the sun room) and she turned to look at Maui, they made direct eye contact, and she almost rolled her eyes and turned back to me to keep meowing. I was so proud of both of them, Coffee for her bravery and Maui for her refrain from chasing. I know we have such a long way to go still but I am so thankful for this small piece of hope. Anyways, sorry for the long rant I just am still beaming :)

IMG_1179-2.JPG

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Funny, frustrating, heartening, with some good news and hopefulness thrown in!!! I love the eye roll from Coffee!! That sun room was much more important than worrying about Maui.

The good thing - it would seem that Maui sensed that pouncing at that particular time wasn't going to get her anywhere since Coffee could have cared less. Maybe that combination of feelings/attitude will be begin to be repeated through other parts of the house!!