Making progress with Tux

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had Tux, a feral cat I caught, for a little over 2 years now. Over time we have made a huge amount of progress, when first caught he was a wild animal, not only hissing and growling, but also letting out a heart wrenching cry when scared. I had to use welding gloves to handle him and get him to the vet. He is now free roaming around my house, has no desire to go back outside, and gets along well with the other cats and loves my dogs. He still doesn't allow human touching, but if I needed to I can get a hold of him now without the need for gloves.  He follows me around staying just out of reach, always watching me and my husband, verbally requests play, and will about 90% of the time take treats out of my hand. Today he actually came up to me and dropped at toy near me, looked me in the eyes then walked away. I told him the other day I wanted his love for Christmas, and he brings me a toy, (he has never done that before) :) I know it's silly but, feel honored. I also know he does love me in his own way, it's just hard seeing him be so affectionate to my dogs and not getting to receive any of it myself.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, he does love you.  He is showing you in many ways.

Our former feral will sit and blink at us when he's feeling lovey dovey.  We blink back and if we're lucky, he will allow us to scratch his head for a few seconds.

Sounds like Tux is a lucky kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Tux is a lucky kitty!
If he only knew... at least two of my neighbors shoot unknown cats that wonder on to their farms that I know of, if he had decided to hang around one of their houses he would be dead. We also don't have a shortage of predators, wolves, coyotes, foxes, bears, cougars, lynx, and birds of prey to name a few.

Otherwise, it took some time, but I think he knows how good he has it here, (toys, treats, friends, unlimited food, a warm place to stay, etc) that's why he doesn't want to go back outside now.