Making Our Cats A Tree House.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
A little while ago someone gave us a pile of recycled timber. We decided to use some of it to make our cats a tree house.

TreeHouse26.jpg

We started with a basic square box. Planks of wood were screwed to thicker posts in the corners
TreeHouse1.jpg

We made a door on one side.
TreeHouse3.jpg

I wanted them to have a window, but I also wanted the tree house to be as weather proof as possible. I used a plastic picture frame to cover the window and keep the rain out.
TreeHouse4.jpg

Next came a roof.
TreeHouse5.jpg

Hiro trying it out for size.
TreeHouse7.jpg

He fits!
TreeHouse8.jpg

Next I filled any knot holes with wood filler and gave the whole thing a couple of coats of outdoor wood stain.
TreeHouse13.jpg

After that find a suitable tree and put up some support beams.
TreeHouse15.jpg

Once the tree house was up we realised it would be too easy for the cats to jump from the loft onto the fence, so we put up a few thinner pieces of wood to stop them from doing this. The ladder was also made from recycled wood. A cement block at the bottom stops the wood from getting damp and rotting.
TreeHouse18.jpg

Then I gave the whole thing another coat of wood stain.
Little Boy tests the ladder. He's the heaviest cat we have, so if he can make it up and down it should be easy enough for the rest of them.
TreeHouse21.jpg

Carpet tries it out next. We filled the inside of the house with straw so they can nap inside comfortably.
TreeHouse28.jpg

And of course, no tree house would be complete without fairy lights.
TreeHouse24.jpg

Do you make things for your cats? I'd love to see some pictures.

:heartshape:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little while ago someone gave us a pile of recycled timber. We decided to use some of it to make our cats a tree house.

View attachment 227046
We started with a basic square box. Planks of wood were screwed to thicker posts in the corners
View attachment 227047

We made a door on one side.
View attachment 227048

I wanted them to have a window, but I also wanted the tree house to be as weather proof as possible. I used a plastic picture frame to cover the window and keep the rain out.
View attachment 227049

Next came a roof.
View attachment 227050

Hiro trying it out for size.
View attachment 227052

He fits!
View attachment 227053

Next I filled any knot holes with wood filler and gave the whole thing a couple of coats of outdoor wood stain.
View attachment 227054

After that find a suitable tree and put up some support beams.View attachment 227055

Once the tree house was up we realised it would be too easy for the cats to jump from the loft onto the fence, so we put up a few thinner pieces of wood to stop them from doing this. The ladder was also made from recycled wood. A cement block at the bottom stops the wood from getting damp and rotting.
View attachment 227056

Then I gave the whole thing another coat of wood stain.
Little Boy tests the ladder. He's the heaviest cat we have, so if he can make it up and down it should be easy enough for the rest of them.
View attachment 227057

Carpet tries it out next. We filled the inside of the house with straw so they can nap inside comfortably.
View attachment 227058

And of course, no tree house would be complete without fairy lights.
View attachment 227059

Do you make things for your cats? I'd love to see some pictures.

:heartshape:
So beautiful -- a cat forest! Some lanterns would be beautiful somewhere around in there, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you everyone. It was a lot of fun making this. We still have plenty of timber left over, so I might make something else in the summer.

Don't forget to post some pictures of your home made cat trees!

:hyper:

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's fantastic! Your cats must love all that space to run around in. The tree house is a great idea. I wouldn't mind one myself! Here's a pic of the huge branch my husband just put in our cat run. Going to wrap some rope around it, so it is easy to climb on. Our kitties have a catio as well. They love to watch the birds, and chase insects in here.
IMG_20180417_120729.jpg
IMG_20180417_115456.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are building a 40x24 enclosure for several raised beds and a place to let the cats come out to when we are gone for a few days. It will open from the shop so they have a place to get inside. I am looking at several plans for 'houses' and climbing areas to add too, this is a wonderful idea! It's funny Norachan, I recognized the cats first, and THEN I knew who wrote the thread!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are building a 40x24 enclosure for several raised beds and a place to let the cats come out to when we are gone for a few days. It will open from the shop so they have a place to get inside. I am looking at several plans for 'houses' and climbing areas to add too, this is a wonderful idea! It's funny Norachan, I recognized the cats first, and THEN I knew who wrote the thread!

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a beautiful picture of your regal looking cat in that enclosure but sure would like to see more pictures of that enclosure. Like the others, looks very impressive. ;) thanks

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, we have seen this posted before, thank you for the revealing of another "outdoors cat paradise"!, beautiful as it is functional and fun!! :)
You all have such fun kitty playgrounds!